What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

backshell or no backshell

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
My GRT Sport did not come with a backshell for the 37 pin connector...at least I don't think it did. I am using a Dynon D6 as a backup, which is used so I don't know if it came with a backshell for its 37 pin connector.

Do I need to use a backshell? I assume that if GRT did not send one, I do not need one.

Any thoughts?

My GRT Sport did not come with a backshell for the 37 pin connector...at least I don't think it did. I am using a Dynon D6 as a backup, which is used so I don't know if it came with a backshell for its 37 pin connector.

Do I need to use a backshell? I assume that if GRT did not send one, I do not need one.

Any thoughts?

Blind assumptions should be avoided at all costs. If you have space for a backshell, use one. If you don't, you need to figure out wire support.

Backshells provide both wire strain relief and support for plugging/unplugging the connector. If the wires are well supported, a backshell is not a requirement in most of our applications.

Most avionics trays, for example, use D-sub connectors without backshells.

V

Shielded wire?

Any thoughts?

Tony,
Does GRT recommend shielded wire for the EFIS connections? If so, you want to use a back shell to continue the shielding. That would require either chrome plated die cast [zinc] or chrome plated plastic back shells to create the shielding. The plating is what would create the shielding on plastic back shells.
Charlie

GRT Doesn't require shielded wires - they have always supplied plastic backshells, and while not required, they are a very easy way of providing strain relief - which (as has been pointed out) is necessary.

They can usually be gotten locally, probably cheaper than shipping costs from anywhere.

Paul

I stand corrected

GRT Doesn't require shielded wires - they have always supplied plastic backshells, and while not required, they are a very easy way of providing strain relief - which (as has been pointed out) is necessary.

They can usually be gotten locally, probably cheaper than shipping costs from anywhere.

Paul

Paul is correct. When I was looking for the backshell from GRT it did not occur to me that it would be gray plastic. It is. I missed it. I had in my mind the "normal" metal backshell. After reading Pauls post I remembered seeing a gray plastic item in the box with the other GRT stuff. It was, upon further inspection, the backshell for the sport.

All is well :) Thanks Paul

If you look around the good electronics stores you might be able to find shorter backshells than provided. I found one that knocked over 1/2 inch off the Dynon 37 pin one - sometimes it's critical...:)

sport

Mike,

I ordered mine at sun and fun and received it a few weeks later.

I told them I was in no hurry and if someone else closer to flying needed one to put them ahead of me. That may have delayed my delivery. I still have not gotten the auto pilot servos however.

UPS dropped mine off this afternoon. They kind of roughed up the shipping box though. I guess I'll find out how robust it is when I get my wiring done and can turn in on. I took pictures of the box before I opened it just in case.

Back