What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backriveting the '-1' firewall

gpiney

Well Known Member
In the new instructions for building the firewall, they mention that most of the firewall can be backriveted. I found that when all cleco'ed up, my standard backrivet plate was too wide for the job. I took some measurements and went to a local steel supply and got a piece 3"x6"x1/2" for FREE! All I need to do is to sand and polish one side.
Has anyone else backriveted the firewall and found they needed a smaller plate? I don't mind moving the plate for each rivet.

Standard Backplate

I used the stadard backplate. The size makes some areas challenging, in fact I think I ended up shooting and bucking four to six rivets. This was NOT because of the plate size, but because the powder coated brackets blocked access to the shop-head side. So, put the firewall on it's side, supported it, and used the flush head. Worked fine.

The MAIN problem I had (and subsequently drilled and replaced a few rivets) was ensuring the FW and rivets were down tight on the backing plate. The solution was to turn the backing plate and use a corner to get one rivet at a time instead of the whole row at once. Slower and tedious? Yes. Easier than making a new backing plate? I think so.

Get some wood spacers under there to ensure everything is as flush as possible. I suggest that you START each rivet, then check to ensure the head is flush in the dimple before smashing it all the way. They are easier to drill out that way. YMMV

I just used a regular bucking bar positioned over each rivet making sure the firewall was supported with wood blocks, books.... whatever it took to keep it flat and level while I backriveted.

Back