What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

backing strip for rear plexi...

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
rv7 tipup question...

I made a 5/8" aluminum strip to go around the inside edge of the rear plexi, as per plan. I'm about to install the rear window. (yay!) But I don't really see the value in using the strip.

I don't like the thought of tightening metal on plexi, so what I'm thinking of doing is ditching the alum strip and using one rubber and one metal washer on each screw/nut in the rear window assembly. The rubber washer would help with stress and expansion.

Any con's to not using the strip and/or using rubber/plastic washers?

I used 1/8" aluminum "rivet" washers from Home Depot. Looks neat and seems to spread the rivet load just fine. The rivets are stamped out so have a rounded edge on one side that I put against the window. Probably doesn't matter though.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up

Don that should work fine.

It will also look better then the alu strips. I am sure that you don't need to worry about the metal to plexi contact, but the rubber washer won't hurt.

I may go back and change mine out to washers just for appearance sake.

Kent

Washers

I went to the local Aircraft Components and Equipment (Usually located in most good sized cities and towns.) and found some larger diameter washers. Works great, looks good. Much easier than trying to make the strip.

Can you guys post a pic of two of how the rubber washers or large diameter washers are installed? I've been trying to figure out other options for this as well...

homemade washers

I just cut 30 "homemade" washers using a hole saw (without the center drill) in my drill press in some 0.032 aluminum scrap, then drilled the appropriate size hole in the center. I put these against the plexi, underneath the steel washer. So the sequence from outside in is: Al skin, plexi, Al washer, steel washer, and nylock nut on a 6-32 screw. I did not torque these tight, just snugged them up. I obviously screwed mine together rather than riveted.

greg

Here is a picture using the Arrow aluminum rivet washers from Home Depot. (I also spayed the outside surface of the canopy where it overlaps the skin with matt black Rustoleum. I tested it first on a canopy off-cut. And I applied blue RTV silicone to the joint to seal it.)

windowwashersox1.jpg

Jim Sharkey

Thanks Jim. That's what I had pictured in my head, but wanted to be sure. I'm not going to make that backing strip, so this is what I'll do.

:cool:

update..

In the plumbing section at Ace Hardware, I found hard rubber washers, about 1/8" thick and 3/8 diameter. Perfect for a nice snug fit that will easily prevent any stress from expansion. Even found them in the color black as I was hoping for.

Canopy done and working well.

I'm now up at Osh. Next year I want my RV sitting amongst those other 400..

Don

Back