What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back window installation

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I just completed installing the back windows. I am curious how others are finishing out the exterior of the windows. Viewing the bonding area through the glass is not great. Are others painting that area when the aircraft is painted (seems like it would crack). Has anyone blacked it out similar to a car window. Just looking for ideas.

Pat

Use black (or white) pigmentation in the epoxy and extend it about 3/8" around the outer perimeter of the window as seen from the inside. Then add a thin strip of fiberglass over the seam between the window and the lid to avoid cracking at the seam.

Done this way all you see from the inside is a black band. Also, if you use an interior window close-out, it gets hidden from the outside by this band.

back window installation

Too late for the black colored epoxy. I am considering a fiberglass tape layup around the window that bridges the seam and just covers the inside flange so that it cannot be seen from outside the aircraft, should not crack and will be painted. Any opinions.

Pat

gap covered

Pat,
I covered this area with one strip of glass bridging the gap to the cabin top
and covering the bonding area.
The final "step" from window to fairing material is the thickness of 2 layers of electrical tape.

Photo%20%20%208.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Back