What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Riveting error

flyer76

Building the rudder and back-riveted the stiffeners as directed. I had 2-3 that I riveted that were:confused: not completely on the plate - sooooo I ended up with with a bit of a problem i think. I looked at the outside skin and there is a "lump" where this happened. The rivet is set correctly and there was no place i can tell where the skin was ripped...just a lump. Is this ok? :eek:

"Lump" is pretty hard to picture, but I assume it isn't too bad. A photo or measurements might help here, but the probable answer is that, if you can live with it, so can we. If there are no cracks, things are probably OK. You might try a spoon to rub out the lump. Put a spoon on the end of your thumb and press it onto the surface and circle the lump. Keep circling, making a smaller circle each time and watch closely. Work slowly, increasing pressure as necessary and you can work out a fairly large lump, if there are no creases. If you get it pressed in past level, you can fill the depression. I don't know if this will work if there are two thicknesses of metal that are dented, but it may be worth a try. Just work from the outside of the circle, trying to make it smaller. Don't try to do it all in one pass.

Bob Kelly

Back