What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back-rivet Top Wing Skins

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I have the Avery double-offset back-rivet set and the Avery back-rivet bucking bar. I was thinking of back-riveting the top wing skin. Who here has done it this way? How were the results?

Hi,

I am just in the process doing it ... Works fine .. Any particular info you like ? The skin is very smooth - Now working on the btm skin - Started at the inner skin .. now at the outer btm skin

Jan

a bit more air pressure with long offset

we used the same bar... pretty straight forward, no pitfalls. with the long offset back rivet set you will need a bit more air pressure... lots of energy gets soaked up in before getting to the rivet. there are not many places in the build to use this method but it is great for the top skins.

there are not many places in the build to use this method but it is great for the top skins.

Actually a good majority of an RV fuselage can be back riveted. Using this method on lighter gauge curved skins (like a fuselage tail cone) has the most noticeable finish difference.

I'm looking forward to doing the top skin now. I enjoyed back-riveting the ailerons, let's hope the wings goes as well!

Back riveting wing skins

I tried both the double offset and the avery back riveting bar. I and Dave Sloan (RV3A) even tryed a older back riveting set that just bent over the shop end. I went back to the flush set and a tungsten bucking bar and had just as good of results. I even used this to rivet on the bottom skins solo. Just my thoughts. Check out Pbr47906 on youTube if you care to see my progress.

Paul
N277PM
RV7A
Working the wings.

Colin,

On the new kits, the top wing skins get riveted on first. My wife and I back riveted one wing and top riveted the other.

To this day, I can't tell which wing was done which way.

I found it best if I bucked and my wife (and any newbie) shot the rivets.

Colin,

On the new kits, the top wing skins get riveted on first. My wife and I back riveted one wing and top riveted the other.

To this day, I can't tell which wing was done which way.

I found it best if I bucked and my wife (and any newbie) shot the rivets.

My wife also helped me top-rivet the skin on my left wing. She wasn't comfortable running the gun which is why I want to try back-riveting the right wing. That way she can buck the rivets with less risk of damage.

Back