What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back rivet set on rudder trailing edge

BoilerFlyer

I've come to the rudder trailing edge rivet portion of our program and I must say, I want to start by thanking everyone for their amazing posts here on this topic already! It has been incredibly helpful, but there is one topic that I can't seem to find any information on. So far I have put in about 6 rivets using the angle iron method popularized all over and I'm incredibly happy with the end results with one incredibly large exception: I'm afraid the back rivet set is damaging my rudder skin. I can see the impact circles being left on the skin. I have tried to vary the pressure in my gun to the point of almost making it unusable it is so low (Van's recommends a 3 second total drive time in the manual) to high enough I cut that 3 seconds down to just over 1. Same result regardless of pressure - impact rings on the trailing edge.

Thoughts? How have people handled this?

you should be using a mushroom flush set angled to match the skin surface.

I found it helpful to partially squeeze the rivets with a hand squeezer, and then come back and hit them with the gun to finish.

Back