What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AZ-MN Graduation Trip

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Tis the season of trips and travels with the first of the summer to KSTC MN for Skip's youngest daughters college graduation from St Ben's.

We were going to see about making todays first leg to Pueblo CO, but the wx dictates otherwise. Looks like we'll head to KDHT, Dalhart TX and stop for the night.

We both had a few chores this morning thus the mid day launch.
Here is our route plan.

83695ee1a1e20b1fbc0ca080e9ef5764.jpg

We're just wingin' it with route and stops. Ayone with must see's, stops, RON's etc. sing out. We're open to suggestions.
I'll keep an eye out for Vlad, he's probably out here somewhere too! :)

Last edited:
Good route

I often fly to South Dakota. Although Pueblo or Colorado Springs is more direct, I prefer to go to DHT. Almost exactly half way. Also don't have to deal with Rocky's that way. The first hour of dealing with AZ mountains is enough!!

Bailey's Flying Service on the North end of the field has cheaper gas and has always been good about loaning a vehicle.

Cathy it's been a while you flew long distance. Swing by us if you have time.
I reduced my flying significantly, local oil well and refinery dried out. :D

Waiting for trip report you are good to do it on the go...

DHT

We stopped in at DHT for the night. The wind was 210 @ 18-20 G 29. We used Rwy 21. About 30 min later the windsock went limp, then briskly snapped to attention from 360 @ 20 G 33. They take their wind seriously in the TX panhandle.

Pulled into the closest stout tie downs into the wind. I think the FBO is called IFS. I sure hope they aren't the higher of the fuel prices. About .65 gal more on Foreflight. We got a courtesy car though no problem and now are happily resting and one of the local lodging areas, right next to the RR tracks. Apparently the RR circles through town so most any motel has a set of tracks just out back.....Choo, Choo!

Tomorrow should start earlier and we'll head N then turn to the NE when the wx allows. Hopefully arrive into STC in the late afternoon.

17c306d7b84cc3eecaa1cc2d8db90b12.jpg

Leaving AZ, passing by Morenci.
null-12.jpg

Skip packing the courtesy car (all cars in TX are trucks) :)
null-10.jpg

The wind was blowing so hard that the canopy cover now makes Pop Tart look like "she" has boobies.
null-7.jpg

Umm, Shiner.
null-6.jpg

Last edited:
DHT North

This morning we headed N out of Dalhart, then wandered towards the east a bit. We were aiming for Lexington NE but stopped at McCook NE instead.
The wx has kept us low and in the headwinds. We are going to head N out of MCK and see if we can get to Watertown SD ATY. Maybe stay there of if we have time and good wx we'll jump over to STC.

So far....
e7b309223caff6077607dffd74ac5534.jpg

Mc Cook NE

Hre's what we found at MCK....
A cool old courtesy car, a friendly FBO and a great Diner Mac's where we enjoyed the best burgers around and a nice milk shake too.

null-13.jpg

null-15.jpg

null-19.jpg

Here is the optimistic, no more headwind route to our final destination.
9c1a221879b216f2ab3ad6f3c0176a4a.jpg

We couldn't get out of the wind, even down here....
null-17.jpg

So we stopped in at ATY and tied little Pop Tart down for the night.
null-16.jpg

St Cloud

We got into St Cloud without a hitch. Didn't even finish getting tied down and met a local RVer, Dale Fields with an RV6a that he built.
Friendly place this Minnesota.
Off to St Joseph to see all the graduation hubbub.

Sunday SW bound

We are going to hop a few rides Sunday, then head out Mid day. Here's our route we're thinking of.

c50063fd6068b319d06c7fef5c183cce.jpg

Not sure when we'll actually leave from STC so we'll be looking at a few options to stop for the night.
Any suggestions of good lodging, courtesy cars, cool airport restaurants etc?

Last edited:
3 days up, one day back home

So after all the graduation formalities were done........
null-53.jpg

We said our goodbyes over dinner last night.

This morning we took advantage of the 2 hour time change, the celebrating Seniors who didn't really want a ride this morning afterall and good albiet cold 32F temp and launched early out of St Cloud.
That was the plan anyway. We got there early and once we put our bundled up selves in the cockpit it was time to start up the now cold soaked engine.
The previous days frosty wx didn't suit Pop Tart well. No way was she ready to crank over.

We unbuckled and crawled out and went back into the FBO looking for a charge or jump, something.
Before I walked over though I spun the airplane around into the sun.
We found jump cables and chargers. Decided a jump would be less desireable than just charging since it will require removing the top cowl.
null-55.jpg

We get a charger located and I head out to the plane to remove the cowl. Ahh, how about one more try before we take anything apart. Viola' she started up.
Come on Skip jump in, let's get outta here before anything else pops up.

We skedaddle on out and are on our way with only about 20 min lost. We were airborne by 0630 PDT.

Sadly with all the rushing around, and my over indulgence with morning coffee it wasn't long after we took off that I was wishing I was a weird astronaut stalker with my own supply of NASA Depends.

We flew for about 2 hrs before I had to call " Uncle" so we stopped at Wayne NE, LCG for a quick stop.

null-40.jpg

We shut down and I made a beeline for the office......turns out it was under construction.
Uhh oh........reallly?

null-38.jpg

Note to self, never drink copious amounts of coffee before a long trip...Doh!

My luck though is good, very very good............
null-41.jpg

Close enough, who needs a door? I'll take a functioning toilet any day.

Thank you Wayne for roughing in the todie just for me.

Also the lowest fuel of the trip at 4.93

Much happier now. Off to the next stop. Let's see if we can get home today.

null-37.jpg

Here are some cool clouds over Grand Island NE
null-42.jpg

null-43.jpg

Next stop DHT TX again for quick fueliing and a restroom break....

null-47.jpg

What is up with my "rest stop" choices? DHT apparently is all closed down on Sundays. No place to P. Afternoon at the IMPROV for Cathy. Sheesh, really!

OK, let's get home. I want normal indoor plumbing and to sleep in my own big bed. Pop Tart has taken offense to not having a hangar for the past few days too.

We land at RYN, taxi past yet another theme of the week........windy, windy.
null-48.jpg

9.0 hrs of flying and only 10.5 total time start to finish.
Glad to be home.

Last edited:
Nice pics and write up. I think I've seen your plane at KRYN. I'm in and out Ryan during the winter in the King Air 200. Hope to get started on a 7 in the near future.

This was great fun to follow b/c this was pretty much the route I was going to follow (albeit in reverse) for our aborted trip to AZ in March.

It also enlightened me that Dalhart Texas appears to be THE flattest place on earth.

Back