What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle extensions

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I just got off the phone with Plane Innovations and they could not give me any information of the AE-1 axle extensions they sell, nor why they would be of any use to me during my RV-10 build. Can anyone explain why these would be better and what is the retrofit necessary to change the stock extensions I have already prepared on my plane?

IIRC there were issues early on using the stock hex tube extensions flexing and causing cracks in the wheel pants. The billet extensions eliminate the flex by providing a larger bearing surface and a more rigid body thereby eliminating the cracking problem. It's been a while but I don't recall any and don't recall having to anything special for the install on the ones I have other than drilling a hole for a cotter pin through the attach bolt via a guide hole in the base of the extension. However, mine aren't Plane Innovations so I don't know if they have that feature or not--a non issue either way.

Note: This is from circa 2006-2012. For all I know Van's has since changed the design so YMMV......

Last edited:
I have the stock Van's extensions and have had zero problems with them.
;)

Man this got my attention. For a second there I thought I was going to receive some type of modification to extend my legs or arms. Axel extension :D

A number of people have had the stock hex rods fail at the attachment to the wheel, not the fairing. The small diameter of the hex rod means there are large bending moments applied to that bolt on anything other than smooth touchdowns or runways. I recommend the after market parts as cheap insurance.

I ended up making my own from some 1" round stock using a scraper on a wood lathe. Saved money, but cost a little time, and don't look as sexy, but they're hidden under the pants. Also, I purchased the axle nuts from Matco when I bought the wheels/brakes, and that nut was threaded for a 3/8 x 16 bolt - other reason to roll my own.

==dave==
N102FM

Van's has not changed the design. They still provide the junky little hex rods. I thought Cleaveland Tools stocked them.

I hear rumor the extra wide wheel pants on the RV-10 is something Van is not thrilled about.

For what its worth, I have the James wheel pants on my RV-10. They are much tighter. They are also more work than the stock pants.

Carl

RV-10_Axle_Extension_R4.jpg

I just got my extensions in from Cleveland Tool today. These are about half as long as my stock vans extrusions. My wheel pants are out at the airport so I can't make sense of all this. I was confused at how long the U-1004B extensions were. I didn't see anywhere in the plans to shorten them... So I guess what I'm confused about is, if one uses the stock extensions, are you supposed to cut them down and retap them?

Just a thought, but are you sure you aren't confusing your axle extensions with the flap control rods?

Just a thought, but are you sure you aren't confusing your axle extensions with the flap control rods?

You could be right. But I'm pretty sure these showed up with my finishing kit (I could be wrong). I just went and double checked, I can't find anymore hex extrusion anywhere.
Although, doesn't really matter at this point since I have the aftermarket option.
16%2B-%2B1

Those small hex shafts are not the Vans axle extensions that came with my kit.
The one you show below is exactly the one that I fabricated. The correct length of the part should be 3.375".

Back