What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle alignment

bajapilot

I'm in the process of mounting my landing gear and I'm at the point of checking for toe-in/out. I did a search but there's surprisingly little comment on this.

With the alignment blocks against the front of the axle and a string run across I have a small amount of toe-in. The string sits off the inner surface of the block about 1/16 inch on each axle.

What's the collective experience here? Is it enough that I should order shims and try to bring in further in? Or am I searching for perfection in an imperfect world? Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill,
I recently went spent some time with my 8's, Grove, gear. I found that you want the alignment as close as possible to parallel as you can get. I was having trouble landing the plane, it would dart either left or right, found the existing set up to be slightly toe in. After aligning the gear to 0 degrees using vans .5 degree shims, completely changed the landings. I was ready to sell the plane. What a difference a degree makes. IMHO spend the time to get it right, it will be worth the effort.
Dick

With the alignment blocks against the front of the axle and a string run across I have a small amount of toe-in. The string sits off the inner surface of the block about 1/16 inch on each axle.
Bill

That's not bad but it's worth correcting. The problem is those Grove shims are darn expensive. I installed shims in mine but it's still not perfect. One axle is straight but the other went from a little toe-in to a tad bit of toe-out. I would buy a couple of the smallest shims to see if it gets it closer.

Dick is right, toe-in will make the airplane a bad handler on the ground. I suspect it's not quite as bad for the -12 since it lands slower than the other models, but the Rocket was a handful if it had any toe-in at all. There's huge debate about this but in my experience, a little toe-out if preferable to a little toe-in. YMMV.

Bill

I used two Van's 1/2 degree shims on my -12 to get eliminate the toe-in measurement I had. Not sure if splitting the measurement (1/2 deg on each axle) made much difference as I did not measure to see if the axle centerline was perpendicular to airframe centerline.

John Salak
RV-12 #120116

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll order two 1/2 degree shims and see how that works out. Problem is I don't know if that's enough but I figure the 1/2 will bring it in or closer. The 1 degree may take it to toe-out.

BTW, really exciting to see it one the gear for the first time. A milestone, starting to look like a real airplane.

Bill

Back