What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AW Certificate and major modifications

WISC

Well Known Member
First I want to say I am no expert but have had a few conversations with the local FSDO about airworthiness certificates.
I have looked at a few airplanes lately some with different engines installed since the original airworthiness certificate was issued. I think it is important to remember that once a major modification has been made there has to be a new AW certificate application made and issued. There are some differences if the aircraft was registered prior to 2003 but a flight test still must be done and logged. There are cases where this has not been done and that airplane is not legal to fly and you are responsible for the airplane if you purchase such an aircraft. I have also noticed that people don?t realize the original operating limitations are part of the AW certificate though it is stated on the certificate. You need those limitations if you are going to purchase the airplane because you have no idea what may be listed.
I pass this along to hopefully help people as they look at aircraft. If I am incorrect I am standing by to be educated.

You prompted me to go back and read my Operating Limitations.

Nothing in there states that I must have a new Operation Limitation issued after a major repair or alteration. All I have to do is put it back into Phase 1 by doing a log book entry, flying off five hours, and signing it out of phase 1.

However, when I replaced my engine a few years back, I went to the Charlotte, NC FSDO because at the time they had a bunch of new employees and I invited them over to "inspect" my plane, even though they didn't need to. The guy in charged at the time thought it would be a great training opportunity and even issued me new OL's so his staff would see the entire routine. (The Charlotte, NC EAA chapter has a great working relationship with the local FSDO!)

Here is what the current OL's state:
N941WR Phase II Operating Limitations said:
19. After incorporating a major change as described in 14 CFR 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to re-establish compliance with 14 FAR 91.319(b). All operations will be conducted day VFR in a sparsely populated area. The aircraft must remain in flight test for a minimum of 5 hours. Persons non-essential to the flight will not be carried. The aircraft owner shall make a detailed log book entry describing the change prior to the test flight. Following satisfactory completion of the required number of flight hours in the flight test area, the pilot shall certify in the records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with 14 CFR 91.319(b). Compliance with 14 CFR 913(b) shall be recorded in the aircraft records with the following or similar worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during flight testing: speeds Vso____, Vx____, and Vy____, and weight____, and CG location____ at which they were obtained.

Last edited:
First I want to say I am no expert but have had a few conversations with the local FSDO about airworthiness certificates.
I have looked at a few airplanes lately some with different engines installed since the original airworthiness certificate was issued. I think it is important to remember that once a major modification has been made there has to be a new AW certificate application made and issued. There are some differences if the aircraft was registered prior to 2003 but a flight test still must be done and logged. There are cases where this has not been done and that airplane is not legal to fly and you are responsible for the airplane if you purchase such an aircraft. I have also noticed that people don’t realize the original operating limitations are part of the AW certificate though it is stated on the certificate. You need those limitations if you are going to purchase the airplane because you have no idea what may be listed.
I pass this along to hopefully help people as they look at aircraft. If I am incorrect I am standing by to be educated.

This is true if the operating limitations were issued prior to about 1999.
Current op lims allow major mods to be made without a new inspection.
The mod must be logged and a new phase I must be accomplished, but a new airworthiness inspection is not required.

Last edited:
Mel
FSDO guy emphasized one must read the op limitations because the examinar could write some non standard items on the limitations.

FSDO also stated he has inpsected several aircraft that have modified the aircraft but didn't properly document the change either by a new AW certificate or the proper 5 hour test phase and logbook entry; therefore making the certificate invalid.

Hope this helps some folks down the road.

Back