What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics wiring question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have not been around an avionics shop in a few years. I remember seeing the plugs for the rear of the radios put together with wires that were several feet long on the bench with the idea of having them plenty long enough to run to there destination and cut them to length when they are installed. I hope this makes since.

My question is how long should I make these bench wires so they will be long enough in my -7?
Thanks!

Charles,

My avionics supplier had me send a list of wire lengths for the various things that were going in my panel. They made most of my harnesses. Although I gave careful thought as to how I was going to route the wires, I fudged with some extra length. I think I have wires from 16 inches up to 45 inches for some of my avionics.
One thing you should do is plan for extra service length of wire behind the panel.

Hey Charles. I work for an Avionics shop and when doing new installations I always take my estimated length and add 10-20% Service loops are a must and you can always get rid of wire, you can't add (splices in a new installation are a no no) Hope this helps.

Trevor

Back