What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics/Wiring in the -10

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I have spent the last few months finishing my avionics/subpanel installations on my workbench as I made the decision long ago to keep the upper forward fuselage off for as long as possible. This decision was made after my tech counselor said "get your head under my -10's panel and see what it feels like to spend time under it". The entire time, I kept thinking "Wow...this would be near impossible to do per the plans" where they have you install the avionics once the upper fwd fuse is in the aircraft.

Well, after a lot of bench work, I finally got the upper fwd fuse installed into the aircraft with avionics already installed in the panel. It then became apparent that I will still have some work to do...under the panel. For those contemplating installing the upper fwd fuse per the plans...I submit to you this picture with a warning: The image may be disturbing to some viewers

fgod.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Needless to say, I am thrilled that I decided to do 99% of the install on my bench....and not under the panel! As you can imagine, you can't hold this position for long.

When I wired a -10, most of the work was done with the fiberglass top not yet installed and the fuselage mounted on a rotisserie and rotated onto its side.

Of course, after all that was done and the cabin top installed, there was still some work to do as well. I had a custom-made wooden platform/ramp assembly to lay across the floor and spar carry-thru, and various foam cushions to make a surface that I could lay comfortably on my back upside down under the panel to finish the last of the wiring details.

Be careful getting out of the plane though.... once it was on the wheels with the engine mounted, but no wings on yet, I once slipped while crawling out and fell backwards onto the tire & wheelpant bracket and cracked a rib.

Yes, but ...

Another word of warning...

I did the same thing. 99% of my panel was done before the upper forward fuse was riveted on. Fast forward one year and I decided to add/remove some stuff from my panel. A few components that were easily accessible are now practically impossible and I hate to admit that there is one small box riveted in there that isn't connected, isn't needed and isn't ever coming out...

Yup!

James, you are absolutely right! I definitely had to consider what goes where or else I'd box myself into a corner. The two AFS 10" EFIS screens are side by side...giving me phenomenal access to the subpanel where 90% of my stuff is located. The only thing I put in "no mans land" (ie, forward of the subpanel) was the regulator for the backup alternator. Luckily, I can still get to everything...but some things will take another yoga session :)

Good stuff.

David

For those not there yet, I suggest you use nutplates to anchor anything that is mounted to the subpanel or firewall. If something needs to come out(and it will) it is much easier if you don't have to get a wrench on a nut in confined space.

My Chelton and AFS screens are rear mounts, and are a real pita to remove. I believe all of the newer stuff is front mounted.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Haha this pic brings back some memories, thanks for sharing David. Notice I didnt necessarily say they were good memories! :D

Here is another +1 for doing as much as you can with the upper fwd fuse off.

Back