What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics rack mounting question

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
What size screws are normally used for mounting the racks ? It looks like #8 screws ... but I have a rack for a Bendix King KT74 transponder and the holes in the rack "could" fit a #6 screw unless I drill out the hole with a 19 drill... as I do not yet have the transponder ... or the mounting instructions ... I worry that #8 screw heads may interfere with the transponder when it slides in place ...

The rack I have for the COM unit (Garmin GTR 225) looks to be straight forward countersunk #8 screws ... same for the audio unit as well ... It is just the KT74 units that I am not sure about ...

Thanks Walt ! ... Would that then be with a countersunk head or a round head for the #6 screws ?

Thanks Walt ! ... Would that then be with a countersunk head or a round head for the #6 screws ?

The King manual I checked (KY-97A) says the tray holes are oversize at 0.187 diam. and to use #6 Flat head Philips screws.

With the dimples stamped in the tray around the hole, the countersunk screws will nicely center in the holes.

Back