What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics question

Gagarin737

Well Known Member
I'm about to order the avionics package (I don't go for Skyview).
In a few years we have to have radios with 8,33khz separation in Europe. The Garmin SL40 is 25khz. Funkwerk has the ATR833a and a mode S transponer TRT 800a.
So I think I'll buy the Funkwerk avionics instead of the Garmin SL40 and GTX328.
I'm completely new with avionics and I can't oversee if there are any problems when using the Van's control board with these radios. Further do I miss some integration with e.g. the GPS?
Besides that the ATR833 has an intercom build in, is it still wise to install the Flightcom 403?
Any other thoughts about going this route?

Thanks, Joeri.

Avionics options

Van's control board does not have any components specifically for a particular brand of transponder or radio. So for the most part, the control board provides easy hookups and should work with any brand of radio or transponder. You will need to investigate if the Funkwerk transponder is compatible with the Dynon D-180 altitude encoder. It appears that the Funkwerk ATR833a does not connect with a GPS. So you would not have the GPS features of the Garmin SL40. However, using a different brand of radio and transponder will not affect how the the GPS works with the D-180.
As for the intercom, the SL40 also has a built-in intercom, but Van's chose not to use it. Magazine articles have talked about the built-in intercoms of various radios and indicated that they are not as good as stand alone intercoms. Based on that, I recommend using the Flightcom 403.
Van's control board makes for an easy and fast installation. Some builders have installed the avionics in one weekend. One disadvantage of the control board is that when a component fails, the plane is grounded while you wait for the board to be repaired. You do not have to use the control board. You could install each avionics component according to the device's installation manual. And you would have to buy individual switches and a fuse block and an ammeter shunt and etc. The biggest challenges of not using the control board will be the trim speed control and stall warning audio circuit. Any time that one deviates from the plans, expect to spend MUCH more time building.
Bob Nuckolls wrote a book on aircraft wiring if you are interested.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Book/AEC12A_PDF.zip
Joe Gores

not pin for pin compatible

I should have mentioned in my post above that if using a different brand of radio or transponder, they are not pin for pin compatible. It will be necessary to figure out the function of each wire and connect it to the appropriate point.
It can be done but will not be as easy as Van's plug and play avionics package.
Joe

Joe thanks for the comprehensive explanation and the link to the aerolectric book!
I still want to go for the Van's package. The pin layout of the Funkwerk can be found in the manual, I'm not able to find the layout of the SL40 (received it via e-mail, thanks).
I''ll send a mail to Funkwerk about the altitude encoder, good point.
You mentioned that the SL40 is ready for the GPS option. What is/are the features of the SL40 GPS option?

Last edited:
SL40 GPS connectivity

Hi Joeri,
I am not Joe, but I use the use the SL40 GPS connectivity a lot and find it helpful saving time punching in airport frequencies. The Remote function allows the SL40 to access the airport frequency database in the GPS.
When you press the RCL button with a GPS course active the standby display will show the Identifier of the next airport. Turning the inner knob will then scroll thru all of the airport frequencies. You can then flip the frequency you want to the active window.

Tony

Last edited:
The transponder brochure says it has an altitude encoder built in. That ought to make install pretty easy.

Hi Joeri,
The Remote function allows the SL40 to access the airport frequency database in the GPS.

Tony

You sport pilots are spoiled!;) We airline pilots have to dial in every single digit, at least at the B737, very tough job ;)

But it sure is a nice feature. Time that Garmin makes the SL40 8,33khz capable.

Last edited:
Back