What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics package price

lewy

Well Known Member
Hello, Do you think the price of the current avionics package will decrease when the new skyview is offered? Anyone have a idea how much the skyview price will be compared to the current avionics package? Don from ohio

While I think I read that the X96/Aera will not be offered with the new package, I cannot see how it is possible for them to lower the price with the Skyview.

These are rough numbers as I have no idea what Van's is planning plus these prices are just based off current selling prices...

495 $1300
D180 with needed options $4180
AP74/Servos $1950
Total $7430

Skyview system 10" (not sure what size they are planning) $6665
Servos $1550
Total $8215

I read somewhere that they are not planning to keep a handheld GPS in the kit so I removed that from the Skyview setup.

This does not factor in any cost for a new switch/com/control panel that it looks like they are developing or any conversion wiring they may use to convert the existing harnesses to work with the Skyview.

I think one of the bigger questions of many now flying is what will the retrofit involve in time and money. Mitch is currently installing his so part of the equation will be answered in the near future. What, if any will Dynon rebate the D180, servos etc is another. Sure we will know soon. Personally, I am fine with what I have and assume both Dynon and Garmin will support data for quite sometime...they always have. Where you could lose is in hardware support.

Pete

Dynon will support the legacy series for years to come. They are still selling many of them for people that don't want the Skyview.

Last edited:
I think one of the bigger questions of many now flying is what will the retrofit involve in time and money. .

Pete

Hi Pete,

I do not see very many retrofits of finished aircraft, but there are a large number of us sitting here with RV-12 kits all but done waiting for Van's to tell us what the new package is so that we do not have to purchase out of production or outdated equipment.

How much of what we have done will need to be riped out the hard way now that we are nearly finished and replaced? When will Van's stop saying soon and tell us what they are doing so that if it does not make any sense we can go EAB and get our aircraft finished or perhaps buy the outdated gear as the lessor of the evils while Van's can still find some to supply?

This has gone on for about a year it is time for Van's to speak up and tell us what the plan is and when or if they are going to do something. It would be nice if they could also explain their plan and resources to be used to support the new avionics kit as they did not have either for the current kit.

Best regards,
Vern

Vern,

Maybe its a retrofit situation that involves the same harness situation with some D-Sub additions that convert existing to the "new." Guess we'll find out.

Pete

I am planning on starting my little project this Fall. I certainly hope by then, the dust has settled on the Skyview upgrade process. Seems like this "upgrade" is rather turning into an issue. I have a gut feeling that is it going to eventually turn into something wonderful. Let's hope so, eh?

:D

Skyview

I am planning on starting my little project this Fall. I certainly hope by then, the dust has settled on the Skyview upgrade process. Seems like this "upgrade" is rather turning into an issue. I have a gut feeling that is it going to eventually turn into something wonderful. Let's hope so, eh?

:D

Yes I think there will be a complete redesign of the Panel & wireing as the SV is simpler & more direct making an Excellent Panel Option. I hope they make provision for the Installation of the SV Transponder & Future VHF Radio when its available shortly.! This is going to make one very neat Installation and be very Furture proofed!

Does the change from the Garmin GTX-327 to a Dynon transponder effect pricing?

--Bill

Most likely will add a few hundred $ to the price. The Skyview xponder is a mode S unit but it is close if not the least expensive mode S unit out there. The 327 is not mode S and is therefore less expensive.

Last edited:
Back