What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics mount rear support

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I'm upgrading my panel on the 8A with D10A, EMSD10, HS34, GNS430, GPSMAP496, and the Tru-Trak A/P. That, in addition to 4 3 1/8" instruments represent quite a load on the panel.

I would appreciate any suggestions on adding a brace at the rear of the trays for added support.

Thanks and regards.

Diagonal Brace

In this picture, you can see one solution that has worked out well - I mounted a diagonal brace made of aluminum "U-Channel" (could just as well have used angle) that runs from near the middle of the panel down to the rear of the heavy avionics stack. I also riveted aluminum angels vertically along each side of the big hole for my GRT EFIS displays - pretty much essential to retain any strength at all.

IMG_7501.JPG

Paul

RE:diagonal brace

Thanks, Paul.

I had in mind something like this, but was concerned about the stresses induced on the main panel mounting screws, which in my case are #6. From the picture, it looks like your's are #8. I'll consider changing my nutplates to #8.

Cheers,

Rafael

Thanks, Paul.

I had in mind something like this, but was concerned about the stresses induced on the main panel mounting screws, which in my case are #6. From the picture, it looks like your's are #8. I'll consider changing my nutplates to #8.

Cheers,

Rafael

Yes, mine are #8 per van's design.

support

I made some upside down "L" brackets that I rivetted to the brace to support the radio trays (below them). I put some intertube like membrane between the "L" and the trays and I think it's going to work great. I have two "L" brackets per tray. Hope that helps. Dave

Another way

Here's how I did mine. Just finished in fact.

There are nut plates attached to the fuselage brace so I just pull the EFIS screen, remove the two screws, and the whole works will come out with the panel.

Don't know if I should put some kind of vibration isolation in there somehow though.

If I should, please, someone, chime in!

Back