What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Kit Questions

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Just finished inventorying my avionics kit and skimming the instructions and I noticed that for several pieces (transponder, for example) you are supposed to fasten the backplate to the tray, fit the Xponder to the tray, and fasten the tray to some fuselage components. Although the tray is apparently a Garmin part, it's not in the avionics kit. Are these part of the fuselage or finish kits?

Also, I'd planned on having the panel powder-coated. However, the switch panel is already assembled with fuse-holders, etc. in place. Has anybody had, or considered having, that powder-coated. Or is everyone just painting the panel?

Thanks very much

Wayne Moyer 9241 N143WM
Just getting started, vertical tail finished!

Last edited:
What comes in the Avionics kit?

Is there a list on Van's website of the items that come in the RV-12 avionics kit? I'm wondering if it would be interesting to buy that kit for my RV-9.

My initial email to Stein about the apparent lack of a tray, lack of the referenced instruction Manual, and lack of an operator's manual for the transponder and Com radio brought this response from your "Overlord of Customer Support". Since a large part of my $13,000 went to Stein, I was not impressed. More detailed message to both Van's and Stein to follow.

Wayne Moyer

"Wayne,

We only supplied the Garmin avionics and did some of the harnesses per Vans drawings. You’ll need to contact Vans regarding your questions as they are the ones supporting the installation.

cheers,

Paul Story

Overlord of Customer Support"

Back