What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Issues

vernhendershott

Well Known Member
We are having a problem with the OAT & Magnetometer as they are not seen by the Dayon 180, this gets particularly fun because we have no wiring diagram or pin connections to work from. Had a friend, avionics technician, come over to help and he was not even able to start.

Called Van's and was told that they do not support the Dayon 180 problems go see SteinAir, did that and Stein was very helpful but agreed that without the wiring diagram and connector details it is a long learning experience for an avionics person (read very expensive). He also said that he only supports the parts of the avionics that he sold, I can sure understand that.

Called Dayon and they wanted to help but they have no information about this installation and wanted the two boxes sent back for testing. They did agree to send a magnetometer instead to test it.

So I hope the rest of the RV-12 builders have no problems because they are no fun with no real support or information.

Best regards,
Vern

Avionics

The problem is that all 12V and Avionics wiring goes thru the fuse/switch module. Without a complete schematic for this module it will be a nightmare trying to trace the wiring.

Hi Vern,

My magnetometer and OAT seem to work just fine. I would first check the connector at the magnetometer to ensure you have the correct color wire in the correct 9 pin DIN hole. Then you could do the same on the Dynon end. I forget if the OAT goes to the 37 pin connector or the 25 pin connector on the Dynon. BUT, I remember it is shown in the plans. The plans show where we inserted the wires in the connector on the Dynon end.

Mine does *** NOW ***

Mine did not work, but I found out I had reversed the white and white W/Blue tracer from opposite corners of the connector at the magnetometer. Works well now.

Just love crawling into the rear.

John Bender

Back