What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics before landing gear?

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
I finished up the controls section of the Finish Kit last week. I was starting on the landing gear section, and assembled the wheels and mounted the axles to the gear legs.

Then my Avionics kit arrived today. And I was thinking that it would be a lot easier to install a good part of the wiring before I put the gear on. I actually do a lot of the work inside the cockpit by rolling the fuselage on it's side (onto a second work table). Continuing to do that while routing wires would be a big win. Obviously I can't do the belly antennas until it's off the work table, but I could run the wires where they need to be and tape them down.

Any gotchas I should be aware of if I do this?

TIA

joe

I'm building an -8 fuselage on a rotisserie. I've drilled the legs to the fuse, then stored them. Doing all the wiring and avionics on the rotisserie, no legs, no fwd top skin.

This pic is from when I moved to the new hanger. But, as far as landing gear and fwd top skin, it looks the same.

52626267545_03cb82d062_z.jpg

I did all of my avionics and fuselage wiring when the fuse was on the floor.
Also did all the canopy work before putting the fuselage on the gear. Do as much as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 67
No problem doing it. will be slightly easier because you can control the height of the plane easily now.. some things may be easier with it on the ground, working from above. Other things, like the wing root connectors and headset jacks..easier if it's higher.

I'm proceeding with the avionics, sans gear. I'm about to start installing the main wiring harness.

For anyone that has done this on a 12iS, I'm wondering if the F-01246 Tunnel Cover will get in the way when I finally put the tail on and connect up the rudder cables. There's going to be a bunch of cables in there, and I'm concerned that it's going to be hard to access the rudder attach points.

Also, I don't have the powerplant kit yet, and the first steps on 42Mis/U-12 are to run the fuel pump down into that area. I'm assuming doing that later won't be unreasonably difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advise on this.

joe

I think it would be tough to get the rudder cable links adjusted correctly with the harness in the tunnel. You might not like the extra work, but I Clecoed my tail cone to the fuselage to get the rudder cables adjusted correctly then removed the tail cone from the fuselage for the harness installation. Maybe others were successful doing so with the harness in place.

Problem is the entire tail is in my storage facility, so it would be a real pain to get it home, attach it, do the cables, then detach it and put it back. I need to rent a truck or trailer to move it, I don't have a vehicle big enough.

Hmmm.

Wait and see if others chime in that might have possibly accomplished it after the harness installation. It just didn’t seem practical for me, plus it was going to be a while before I ordered my avionics kit anyway so had the time to do it that way.

I'm proceeding with the avionics, sans gear. I'm about to start installing the main wiring harness.

For anyone that has done this on a 12iS, I'm wondering if the F-01246 Tunnel Cover will get in the way when I finally put the tail on and connect up the rudder cables. There's going to be a bunch of cables in there, and I'm concerned that it's going to be hard to access the rudder attach points.

Also, I don't have the powerplant kit yet, and the first steps on 42Mis/U-12 are to run the fuel pump down into that area. I'm assuming doing that later won't be unreasonably difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advise on this.

joe

Hi Joe - I installed the main harness before tailcone and just got the rudder cables hooked up this weekend. A job I wasn’t looking forward to as had the same apprehensions as you but it really wasn’t that bad, only marginally more of a faff than without the harness being there. I hadn’t riveted the tunnel cover in place which makes it easier.

No issue at all with the fuel pump connectors.

Get the flaperon torque tubes on and do as much of the avionics/wiring, fuel pump/lines etc behind baggage bulkhead as you can before tailcone goes on as that’ll be so much easier without having to get inside back there.

Good luck!

Joe, I did exactly as you described when building our -12. Worked very well and a pleasure to be able to stand beside the fuse rather than kneeling or standing on my head!

Update on progress...

Got the main wiring harness installed though the fuselage. Working on terminating all the connectors now. Much easier this way. I should have this phase wrapped by the weekend. I'm waiting on the LEMO plugs I ordered from Stein to do the headphone jacks. I'll probably go ahead and do most of the stuff behind the panel now too, but not the displays.

Edit: Unfortunately, the CO2 detector kit was backordered at Van's. I knew I should have ordered it earlier.
Edit 2: WAS on backorder. Shipped today. :)

Last edited:
Back