What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

avionics bay temps

HansLab

Well Known Member
Flying & enjoying!! Though as an Experimental there will be much things to experiment for the future years I guess, but (until the last 140 hrs) all flight critical systems performs nicely.
Cudo's to Van's once more.

We have had some pretty hot weather here (30-35 Celcius) and the carb's run lean on that, resulting in (too) high EGT's. However those days were seldom seen here in Holland, so I'll just live with a bit less RPM, to keep the figures in the green.

However, turning the knobs on my MGL EFIS made me feel how very warm (not to say hot) these are. No problems so far, but I'd really like to keep it that way. Any of you flying in warmer aerea's did some scooping/hosing/whatever to keep the temps within reason?

Flying & enjoying!! Though as an Experimental there will be much things to experiment for the future years I guess, but (until the last 140 hrs) all flight critical systems performs nicely.
Cudo's to Van's once more.

We have had some pretty hot weather here (30-35 Celcius) and the carb's run lean on that, resulting in (too) high EGT's. However those days were seldom seen here in Holland, so I'll just live with a bit less RPM, to keep the figures in the green.

However, turning the knobs on my MGL EFIS made me feel how very warm (not to say hot) these are. No problems so far, but I'd really like to keep it that way. Any of you flying in warmer aerea's did some scooping/hosing/whatever to keep the temps within reason?

A standard build panel using vans avionics kit includes two fans that are installed in such a way that one pushes cockpit air into the enclosure and the other pulls air out.
This has been shown to keep the temperatures in this area at a reasonable level.

I am in SoCal, we have summer temps regularly over 100f. My -12 is built to the plans with stock fans, a Dynon Skyview and Garmin 696. I fly all the time and don’t let the air temp concern me. The only issue I have ever had was the oil getting over 250f on over 90f days on continuous full power climbs, that was solved with a second oil cooler. I have never had a problem with instrument temps.

Have a think about painting the F-01240-1, that's the avionics bay cover, externally, in a very light or white colour.

If you park at an airfield without a cover, for instance when visiting, the temperatures in the bay, especially in full sun, climb quickly as the fans/engine aren't running. A friends Dynon had issues. Once this area gets hot it can be a while before it cools down to get going. Think ' Fan Oven'.

Warm at the moment in Europe and the UK.

John.

Back