What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionic connections

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
I am finalizing my schematics prior to starting wiring and am working on connectivity diagrams between the following systems D100, D120, GTX-327, SL-30, ADI II A/P and Garmin 496. It seems as if there are only two GPS inputs into the Dynon suite and even then you have to switch the inputs between the 496 and the SL-30 rather than have both online simultaneously. Also there iseems to be only one output from the 496 to drive either the Dynon or the A/P.
Can I wire multiple data streams from the 496 (ie. create a GPS stream data buss) and how have others connected the SL-30 and the 496 into their Dynon systems. Do I have to include hard wired switches to select between the various functions and switch the 496 between the A/P and the Dynon?
Also anyone have the SL-30 wiring schematic and the current draw/fuse size requirement.

I can answer part of your question...you can have the 496 supply serial data to multiple devices. Just tie them all into the same circuit.

Sl-30

uk_figs said:

Also anyone have the SL-30 wiring schematic and the current draw/fuse size requirement.

Dave... sent you a 3 Mb e-mail with SL-30 documents that should give you the info you need.

Let me know it came through, sometimes over 1 Mb gets "lost".... :)

gil in Tucson

As long as you don't exceed the fan out limit

I installed my Tru Trak autopilot after I had been flying the plane for some time. The serial output from the SL-60 was routed to my moving map display (the little one that Apollo was giving away free with an SL-60 purchase at the time). I simply spliced into that wire and routed the new segment to the autopilot input. It works perfectly. I don't know what the output driver is on you 496 but I doubt that a fan out of two would be a problem. Either it works or it doesn't and the test is easy.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom said:
I don't know what the output driver is on you 496 but I doubt that a fan out of two would be a problem. Either it works or it doesn't and the test is easy.
FWIW, on both the 396 and 496 I've had 'em feeding:

- TruTrak autopilot
- AF-2500 engine monitor
- SL30
- PC connection for data logging

...simultaneously. Not a problem.

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like the 496 sconnection hould not be a problem. According to the documents I have read so far I can have two serial inputs to the Dynon suite one into the EFIS and one into the EMS but it looks as if you can only select one source at a time to drive the HSI/CDI either the SL-30 or the GPS so you cannot have a vertical profile indication while you have nav selected. I am not instrument rated (so this is all new) but plan to be and planned on using the Dynon as the CDI rather than install a dedicated unit, so is this a problem or should I just not be concerned about it.

Dan, why the connection between the 496 and AF2500?

dan said:
FWIW, on both the 396 and 496 I've had 'em feeding:

- TruTrak autopilot
- AF-2500 engine monitor
- SL30
- PC connection for data logging

...simultaneously. Not a problem.

What can the engine monitor do with the GPS data?

Kent

Back