What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery Pneumatic Squeezer

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience with the Avery pneumatic squeezer? I'm borrowing one from a friend and it won't squeeze those longer (5+) 470 rivets. I'm pretty sure it did when I first started using it. Does Avery rebuild them?

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Tom

You've probably already done this, but double check your regulator(s)pressure setting. I had a similar issue once when I had turned down my regulated pressure for painting and forgot to turn it back up before squeezing.

Most of the leverage to perform the squeeze is towards the end of the stroke so on larger rivets you may have to squeeze them twice.

The power come in the last 1/8". So if you don't have the adjustable "ram" set correctly you are not using the mechanical advantage offered by the squeezer.

Try using the handle to close the dies, then take a rivet and adjust the dies so that they are 1/16" tighter than rivet. Then try it again. You will then need to adjust the ram for the correct shop head size you need.

Yes, Avery does rebuild then, but usually it is operator error. ;) Don't ask me how I found this out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Long Rivets

Are you using the thinnest dies possible? When doing long rivets, I use dies that are about 1/8" thick. With 100#'s air and an adjustable set I can do -6's easily.

As mentioned, the maximum force is exerted at the end of the riveter's stroke. I've found that I have to set the rivets in two increments - the first half-way and a second "finish" setting. I have both a Cleveland and an Avery riveter and the both do the same thing.

To set the longer rivets you'll need to find the sweet spot. The sweet spot is a combination of the size of the rivet and the size (thickness) of the rivet sets. Longer rivets require thinner rivet sets in order to get the "ka-chunk" your looking for. I bought this set from Averys and it made my work much easier:

03292008_03.jpg

You'll find the that "sweet spot" overall length is a very small area where the pneumatic rivet squeezer will function properly. The trick is getting the right combination of rivet and rivet sets. There are times, however, where you will need to take two whacks at the longer rivets to get the finished product, doing an initial set and then decreasing the gap for the final set. Here's the other necessary ingredient for "fine tuning" your desired set, an adjustable set holder.

471.jpg

I took my adjustable set holder out of my hand rivet squeezer and put it in my pneumatic squeezer so I didn't have to buy another one.

Steve is right. That works well too. You just have to make sure it's lined up and lubed before you put the yoke on.

That was the trick!

My squeezer wouldn't squeeze a 470 4-6 rivet, so I opened the gap a little and it worked beautifully. Thanks Mike.

Tom

Back