What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avare on Galaxy S2 tablet -- failed registration - SOLVED

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
EDIT: This is no longer an issue. Installed the latest version of Avare (not AvareX) from PlayStore and it's now possible to bypass the registration screen (registration apparently succeeds). I had to close and reopen Avare. Note that I suspect you cannot file flight plan from Avare on older versions of Android 7 -- a result of encryption not supported by Android 7 and earlier. It is also possible that you won't be able to download charts in the future if encryption is re-enabled on the chart servers.

-----------------

Anyone recently successfully installed Avare with the required registration on a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet?

I installed it, but when opening it, it requires "registration" (basically an acceptance of Terms, Conditions and Privacy Policy). I enter my email address and press "Register". After 45 seconds I get a brief "Failed to register!" message.

Running Android 7.0.

I have successfully installed and run it on my Nexus tablet but wanted a bigger screen for my BFR in a C-150. (No yoke mount.)

Web searches resulted in older posts and no resolution.

Finn

Last edited:
From the apps4av forum-

"Sorry but due to the encryption standards enforced by Google 7.1 and older will no longer be able to connect to the servers."

I am running Avare on my old Nexus 7 tablet and my Galaxy S425G phone with no current issues. I guess I better check my device capabilities, as I would hate to be somewhere and have it fail. Time to get some paper maps and stash them JIC.

I just checked. My Nexus 7 tablet is running Android 6.0.1. Installed and starts successfully on my cheap ZTE phone which runs 7.1.1.
So it's confusing. From reading post #2 I thought the solution might be to downgrade the Samsung S2 to Android 6.0. Now I'm not so sure. Downgrading is a bit risky -- can brick the tablet of not done right.

Last edited:
I am running Avare on my old Nexus 7 tablet and my Galaxy S425G phone with no current issues. I guess I better check my device capabilities, as I would hate to be somewhere and have it fail. Time to get some paper maps and stash them JIC.
Very, very good point.
From the forum:
"if the software was previously installed and registered you will be able to continue using it, however if you uninstall the software you will not be able to reinstall it. The chart servers are not enforcing encryption but the other servers that are used are enforcing encryption."
I assume that means that you can no longer file flight plan from Avare.
Definitely means that if you uninstall Avare and try to install it again (hardware running Android 7.1 and older) you will not be able to get past the registration screen on startup.

I sure hope apps4av will come up with a workaround, even if it means you can't file flight plan.

Edit: but perhaps there's only a few of us running "old" hardware and it's not worth their while. :(

very strange, i bought this 8 inch 4x3 tabA which is the pre tabs2 tablet, came out in 2016 or so.. before the s2, and it registered fine 2 months ago when i installed avare on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720_005559_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720_005559_Samsung Internet.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 5
very strange, i bought this 8 inch 4x3 tabA which is the pre tabs2 tablet, came out in 2016 or so.. before the s2, and it registered fine 2 months ago when i installed avare on it.
Yes, I think it's a very recent Google server change. The working installations I mentioned above were also recent. Around the time of the "iFlyGPS vs Avare" thread I started in April. Installed beginning of May.

Finn

The problem you're talking about though of not being able to register has been going on for a couple of years on Old Android stuff I have, I'm on the road working now and don't have that tablet with me but I'll check and see what version of Droid it's running. I also have a Tab S2 8-in and a 9.7 in both with Avare running, but it's been installed on them for years

The problem you're talking about though of not being able to register has been going on for a couple of years on Old Android stuff I have, I'm on the road working now and don't have that tablet with me but I'll check and see what version of Droid it's running. I also have a Tab S2 8-in and a 9.7 in both with Avare running, but it's been installed on them for years
It is possible that I installed Avare on both my Nexus 7 and ZTE phone years ago and forgot about it but don't think so on the ZTE phone (running Android 7.1.1).

And wouldn't we have heard about it on this forum years ago if that were the case? The first post on the subject on the Apps4Av Google forum I saw was June 7th. Somehow I feel there's some other recent change involved. Of course I'm likely to be wrong. ;)

They changed to region, not state based chart data. You had to update Avare for this after July 1 to be ready for the next update.

If your Android version was too low, maybe this was the issue more than continuity of registration.

I use a Nexus 7 2nd Gen, because it has the best screen brightness. Flew it into KOSH, yet again. The new app is, well, new.

It is possible that I installed Avare on both my Nexus 7 and ZTE phone years ago and forgot about it but don't think so on the ZTE phone (running Android 7.1.1).

And wouldn't we have heard about it on this forum years ago if that were the case? The first post on the subject on the Apps4Av Google forum I saw was June 7th. Somehow I feel there's some other recent change involved. Of course I'm likely to be wrong. ;)
Well two years ago is when I encountered the exact problem you are having it was on a moto x phone damn good phone worked fine until shthead verizen had to go to 5g, two years ago I had to get a new samsung phone. My moto x phone still like new and perfect condition so I restored it back to factory setting while troublshooting the network problem, and low and behold trying to register avare does not complete... tried many times it installs fine but will not register.. so seems you are wrong

Do you know what version of Android that tablet is running?
I still think there's some other factor in play we haven't identified.
Did you install Avare or AvareX?

Edit: I just successfully installed and ran AvareX on my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet running Android 7.1.1. It simply asks you to accept the terms without having to connect to servers. It is true that it downloads maps, etc. by region rather than by sectional map names.
I understand they may make a version of Avare that does that too. We'll have to wait and see.
Perhaps I should just use AvareX instead of Avare. Will have to explore differences.

Last edited:
Never heard of Avarex, looked it up an confused about what it is... new version of Avare? It mentions georef charts but Avare has always done this so I dont understand what the X version does or is compared to the original Avare. Let us know if you figure it out

This is the tablet I am using it on as I type this, installed it a few months ago. This Tab A is older model than the S2 tablet, so strange I can activate Avare on it but you cant on the newer model Tab S2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721-232323.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-232323.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240721-224902.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-224902.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240721-225040.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-225040.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240721-233449.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-233449.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 13
just uninstalled and reinstalled it, no issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240721-234217.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-234217.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240721-234228.jpg
    Screenshot_20240721-234228.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 4
ok so you updated your s2 to the 7.1.1 the same that I have on my TabA, and now it works, that makes sense

edit, found out what avareX is, ios and windows app, guess they finally got it on apple and windows

Last edited:
Wow... so this is what I get on the Tab A, and running Droid 7.1.1, a message saying device not compatable with AvareX. Strange your 1 year newer model S2 tablet lets you install it with the same 7.1.1 OS but I cant on the Tab A. I did get AvareX installed on my 2016 iPhone SE though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240722-122617.jpg
    Screenshot_20240722-122617.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
AvareX on the iphone is way more complicated than on a droid, I cant get it to activate the flight plan

Attachments

• 332D2AAC-2F5E-46FC-8A13-0D4F371DF221.png
    332D2AAC-2F5E-46FC-8A13-0D4F371DF221.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
ok so you updated your s2 to the 7.1.1 the same that I have on my TabA, and now it works, that makes sense

edit, found out what avareX is, ios and windows app, guess they finally got it on apple and windows
Nope. Just checked and have Android 7.0. Avare still won't register (only tried installing from PlayStore).
AvareX is also an Android app.

AvareX does not require "registration" and thus does not test server connectivity required for flight plan filing. At least that's how I understand it.
However, during install/startup it asks for your 1800wxbrief credentials. Did you enter those?

Here's an introductionary video to AvareX. Probably not too informative for non-Avare users:

And quick install and use guide:

Appears that the new AvareX app uses a new cross-platform app development tool: Flutter. Thus possibly a new look and feel.

Last edited:
Ok here you say you have the S2 on 7.1.1
AvareX
Actually the S2 Settings | About tablet says 7.0.

Probably getting myself confused.
Galaxy S2: Android 7.0 (runs AvareX but not Avare -- can't get past Avare registration screen)
Nexus 7: Android 6.0.1 (Runs Avare -- possibly installed years ago)
ZTE phone: Android 7.1.1 (Runs Avare -- installed years ago)

Sorry for the confusion.

This is no longer an issue. Installed the latest version of Avare (not AvareX) from PlayStore and it's now possible to bypass the registration screen (registration apparently succeeds). I had to close and reopen Avare. Note that I suspect you cannot file flight plan from Avare on older versions of Android 7 -- a result of encryption not supported by Android 7 and earlier. It is also possible that you won't be able to download charts in the future if encryption is re-enabled on the chart servers.

Details on: https://groups.google.com/g/apps4av-forum

Back