What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avare and ADS-B RTL2832 software receiver

Gary1818

I'm New Here
Anyone aware it running with metars and weather graphics for Avare yet?
I hear the aircraft detection part is working.
Any info on it and it's availability appreciated. I gave not yet bought a Adsb Dual x170 yet,should I?

go ahead and download AVARE from google playstore....FREE and amazing amount of info....works on any Android device...phone (hard to read) or better tablet....Tom

Stratux type parts? Avare should work!

I use a Dualgps170 with USB cable into my GRT EFIS through a powered usb hub. I also, at the same time, run Avare on my droid from the bluetooth out of the GPS170.

The Dual was $479 at Oshkosh 2014. It is "only" 978 not 1090. It is great for Wx, but I do not trust it for traffic. But, I trust nothing but eyes for traffic. I have flown high speed non-electric and gliders and learned better. It is a nice aid.

Last edited:
Avare

I use Avare on a first gen Nexus 7 with a Pathfinder ADSB in receiver. The Avare app has had great improvements made over the last year so that it is a first rate app with weather, including colored green or red balls at airports, and traffic shows up with a + or - altitude. This is a real solution that really works and is low cost.

I assembled a Stratux from bits & pieces, following Cy Young's web page.
http://stratux.me/
It works great on my wife's iPad, but I've not been able to get it to work on my 2013 Nexus 7 with Avare. I have downloaded the Avare I/O app, which shows port 43211 and I get a brief data note in the field at the bottom before I open Avare. I'm probably missing something, although others have mentioned difficulty getting Avare to recognize Stratux at first. Once going they report good results.
If someone here has a tip, please chime in.
I have been very satisfied with a 7" tablet on a knee board for tandem RVs.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/navdatakb170.php
Getting WiFi data to it means NO CABLES which reduces cockpit clutter.

Back