What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avalara's message on behalf of Van's and other suppliers

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hi,

Wondering if I missed something or if others have seen the same. I just received a message from a supplier that I don't recall using, saying, " xxxx is required to collect sales and/or use taxes on your purchases unless provided with current valid exemption certificates for the states where your company’s purchases are shipped. It instructs me that I need to provide updated sales tax/use certificates through a provided Avalara portal. Hmmmm???

Another builder/friend received a very similar letter advising the same, but much more detailed to Van's. His was sent from Avalara CertCapture. The 855-xxx-xxxx service number rings once and disconnects the call. A snippet from that letter states, "Van's Aircraft, Inc. is required to collect sales and/or use taxes on your purchases unless provided with a current valid resale/exemption certificate(s) for the state(s) that your company’s purchases are shipped. Van's Aircraft, Inc. respectfully requests that its customers complete a new sales tax exemption certificate(s) in order to continue selling to your company on a sales tax exempt basis. When completing the exemption certificate(s), please enter Van's Aircraft, Inc. as the Name of the Seller. Once you have submitted a valid exemption certificate you will not be required to do so again until the next expiration date."

Did something change in the course of the BK filing? I don't recall ever doing this in the past, and I'm not a company...just a builder.

Thanks!

Yup. I got one too but it mentioned some other aircraft parts company that I have never heard of. I sent it into the bit bucket.

That sounds pretty standard to me. Avalara is the leading industry provider of sales tax compliance services. These are very normal emails for a company like Avalara to be sending to customers. Van's Aircraft is required to collect sales tax from all customers unless they have a valid exemption certificate. Avalara is a company that helps collect those certificates and ensure compliance.

Feels scammy to me.

I would ignore it until it comes to your house in a Fedex or USPS Certified Letter - Return-Receipt-Requested...

That sounds pretty standard to me. Avalara is the leading industry provider of sales tax compliance services. These are very normal emails for a company like Avalara to be sending to customers. Van's Aircraft is required to collect sales tax from all customers unless they have a valid exemption certificate. Avalara is a company that helps collect those certificates and ensure compliance.
Never was requested, nor provided such a certificate in almost 20 years of dealing with Van's and other suppliers. Sounds "scammy" to me, too.

Back