What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux tanks?

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Has anybody increased the fuel capacity of their RV9A to 60gal or more in the wings? I have a friend who is negotiating to buy a 9A but wants it with longer range. He would keep the same MGW so he is willing to sacrifice payload for range but he normally flys alone anyways. :cool:

A few of us have, yes. I'm not flying yet but I converted my outboard leading edges to fuel tanks, to add about 34 gallons (calculated/estimated - not measured yet).

Pat Tuckey did this on his 8 and has some very good drawings for his design if you'll search for them on here. I modified his idea slightly for my 9A. You can look at my builders log for a little more info. It's a lot easier to do before the wings are closed out but I suppose you could retrofit, if you're willing to unskin the wings.

I've seen a 9 at Oshkosh with full leading edges converted to fuel tanks. He bent new profiles using long aluminum sheet of heavier gage. Enormous amount of fuel it holds. Have a picture somewhere in the archives. Also I had an opportunity to see different concept of building extended range tanks on RV8 by famous Aerodynamix leader no pictures sorry :)

Last edited:
Here are those tanks I saw at Oshkosh 2007.

ft1.jpg

121.jpg

Rotary RV-9A w/long range tanks

Check out a Canadian rotary guy (Todd Bartrim's) web site on how he added leading edge and tips tanks. Not saying it is or isn't a good idea to do that, the pilot in command has to make that call before take off...

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A (90116) on hold; RV-3A restoration in progress!

http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

Back