What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux Fuel Pump Doubler

macrafic

Well Known Member
The plans call for the the rivets to attach the aux fuel pump doubler to the firewall to be flush on the aft (tail) side of the firewall (contrary to the other rivets on the firewall, which are flush on the engine side of the firewall).

It appears from the plans that attaching the nut plates (to hold the pump) with the rivets flush on the aft side, per plans, while putting the flush side of the rest of the rivets on the forward side would allow the fuel pump to fit between the protruding shop heads on the aft side while still allowing the forward side of the firewall to remain "clean" of rivet protrusions (except for the nut plates).

For those of you who have attached their fuel pump already, can you confirm or dispute this?

Thanks.

I have a QB fuselage and as near as I can see all the flush rivet heads are on the front (FW) side except for the 4 rivets holding the 2 nut plates which are flush on the rear side so your assumption is correct and the plans are in error.

J.C.

Thanks, J.C.

647jc said:
I have a QB fuselage and as near as I can see all the flush rivet heads are on the front (FW) side except for the 4 rivets holding the 2 nut plates which are flush on the rear side so your assumption is correct and the plans are in error.

J.C.

I sure appreciate the information J.C. Thanks.

Carburated?

If you are using fuel in jected, there is no need for the fuel pump doubler.

Last edited:
Bigger doubler needed? Maybe.

FWIW. If you're going with a carburated engine, the mixture cable goes very close to the doubler. I'm using a round eyeball fitting for the mixture cable - half of the hole is through the doubler.

I had to make a shim for the other half of the hole. A larger doubler would have made it a lot easier. If I remember correctly, 1 rivet in the doubler made it hard to place the hole exactly where I wanted it.

Im working in this area now and would like to know if someone could post a pic of the front and back please.

Here are pictures of my RV6 with lots of RV7 FWF details.

I set all of the rivets flush on the AFT (footwell) side of the fuel pump doubler by using a back rivet set on the FWD side with a bucking bar held against the rivet head on the AFT side.

Checking the pump installation shows that not all of the rivets need to be flush on the aft side - but hey why not do them all while you're at it - in for a penny in for a pound (sterling that is)!

As you can see I also had to notch for the engine cable - and it still has to thread between the fuel lines. I haven't installed it yet but the clearance looks OK.

The wiring "zip ties" etc are temporary.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc, etc, etc, etc..........

fuelpumpdoubleryl3.jpg

fuelpumpol3.jpg

Last edited:
Thankyou for the pic !
I now see that the nutplate is on the fwd side of the firewall. It also looks like I should scallop the F601Z for the mixture cable now, or would it be best to wait ?

Thankyou for the pic !
I now see that the nutplate is on the fwd side of the firewall. It also looks like I should scallop the F601Z for the mixture cable now, or would it be best to wait ?

Glad they were of help Jamie.

I cut the cable holes per the plans first and then made the pump doubler plate fit around them. Not sure if the cable could afford to move to the left or not so I stuck with the plans dimension.

Jim Sharkey

Back