What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux. Fuel Pump Bracket

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Hey all! I just got done with most of my firewall stuff and have a question.

P8070432.JPG

I am at the point of installing the doubler for the Aux. Fuel Pump and read on Dan's site that it is only needed for the carbed engines. As I am planning EFI (unknown vendor yet), need it be installed?

I suppose I am asking that even of it doesn't get used for the Aux. Pump, would it benefit me for some other unknown contraption, gizmo or whizbang?

:confused: CJ

I didn't install it on mine. The pump for the FI system typically goes under the fuel selector. Worst case, it can be added later.

Cool, Thanks! I shan't install it then!

;)

I was just wonderin' if it could be used for another device, but I can't think of one. I will look at the firewall layout plans and see if I am missing anything.

Thanks!

:) CJ

You'll need a doubler for where the fuel line goes through the firewall, but it's in a slightly different location.

Cool, thanks Dave!

That sounds like a "do it later" thing once I figure out where the penetration goes?

:) CJ

Exactly. You basically have two options:

1. Spend a bunch of time now researching where everything goes on the firewall. Then drill the holes and install the doublers while sweating whether you used the right drawing and measured correctly.

2. Or just wait until the engine is mounted. You'll spend a few extra minutes wrangling a drill or rivet gun around the engine mount, but you'll have the peace of mind knowing that the holes are right where you want them.

I've had to do a bunch of drilling and riveting on the firewall with the engine in place. It's tricky but not impossible.

Your firewall is looking good. Those big angle chunks on the bottom near the middle are some fun riveting. :rolleyes:

Dave

ARGH!!!!

Ack!!! Why didn't I find this thread sooner!?!?!?!? :(

I fabricated and drilled my F-601Z firewall doubler to the firewall over the weekend... AND I am planning on using FI. Now it appears that I have a bunch-o-holes in my firewall that aren't going to be needed! #@*&+ !!!!!

Any suggestions?

I can't believe I did this... now that I actually *THINK* about this, the fuel pump for FI is under the fuel selector. Nice going Brad!

Last edited:
I went the opposite route. I'm such a slow builder that I hadn't decided on an engine or system yet. So I just installed the doubler and nutplates as instructed. Now I have an AFP *and* the bracket. No big deal. I can use it for something else , or just put a little dab of ProSeal on a screw and stick it in there. More options.

Thanks guys. I was kinda miffed at myself earlier today when I realized I had unneccesarily drilled these holes, but I am over it now.:eek:

I am going to leave it all open for now, maybe I can use them for something else down the road. If not, I'll rivet the doubler and put some bolts in the nutplates.

Back