What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot parameter tuning

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Flew a test hop today where I started experimenting with tuning the autopilot. Increased the roll sensitivity from 10 to 15 and that solved the 30 degree swings left and right. Also adjusted pitch sensitivity to reduce "twitchiness".

I still have more work to do to get the AP performing the way I want it to. Which brings up a point. How about using this thread to exchange AP parameter values? It would be very helpful to know what values are working well with the autopilots that have been calibrated and are operational.

Anybody want to share?

Dynon A/P

John,

Not much to add here. I think its cool that Dynon gave us all those parameters but I have left most of them on the defaults. But then my use of the autopilot is pretty much limited to travel. When I do travel, I put the 496 on my destination, the AP74 on my desired altitude and let it climb and level off. I always use NAV and the most work I have to do is push the down trim when it levels off. It flies the purple line like a rope so I get to plug in my IPhone to the Zulus and relax while enjoying the view (and watching for traffic!) I also put the radio freq on the nearest ATCC so I can hear when I'm identified to other traffic.
That is what I wanted the A/P for and fills my mission. Am very pleased.

Pete

I've only made two test flights with my AP and today the D-180 pop-up the Loss GPS Message 9 times in a 2 hr. trip. I installed the D-180 back in Sept. 2010 and I received my AP in Feb. 2011.... the firmware is at 5.4 for all. Pushing the NAV button worked fine but I wondering if I have a problem.

Any other -12 seeing this problem?

-Ron

Joe,

The -12 goes in for paint in April so the cowl is not painted at this time. My post was not clear...the GPS didn't loose the satellites signal(s).... it was the D-180 & AP reporting loss of the GPS connection. At this time I only have 33 hr. on the -12 and only 3.5 with the AP installed but I can make the following observations.

1. This seems to be related to the AP & NAV function as I only see the warning during this operational mode.
2. I probably have 20 hr. using the D-180 & HSI for navigation and I've never received a warning about loosing the GPS connection.
3. I know of two other -12 owner who has seen this issue too.

I was just wondering if maybe there was some setting to delay this warning or retry the connection before reporting. The AP automatically flips into TRK mode and pushing the NAV button connects it back-up immediately. I'll call Dynon on Monday...

Thanks,
-Ron

As long as you are sure you do not have a wiring issue or bad connection: (9 times on a 2hr trip almost sounds like a bad connection)

This is a bug and they (Dynon) knows about it. Some gps's have this issue more than others and it is a random bug. There is nothing you can do about it. They are continuing to work on it.

I sometimes get this error maybe once an hour and other times I may never get it....I use an Aera..

The AP is way more picky about the data it receives from the GPS than the rest of the Dynon system. If the AP does not get good data on time, it thinks there is a fault and will throw this error. The rest of the system may never care that it missed a frame or two of data but the AP does.

Last edited:
Flew a test hop today where I started experimenting with tuning the autopilot. Increased the roll sensitivity from 10 to 15 and that solved the 30 degree swings left and right. Also adjusted pitch sensitivity to reduce "twitchiness".

I still have more work to do to get the AP performing the way I want it to. Which brings up a point. How about using this thread to exchange AP parameter values? It would be very helpful to know what values are working well with the autopilots that have been calibrated and are operational.

Anybody want to share?

If you have not already, I highly recommend that you set the parameter "TRN RT LMT" to "0" per the latest install manual on page 6-18. This makes the roll mode of the AP way, way better!!!

Brantel, thanks for guiding this thread back on track. Still looking for other AP users and their experience with the parameters. I will post all my parameters after my next work session.

Back