What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot cutout switch

Hal-san

Well Known Member
Patron
the wiring is too short on my kit. Anyone else having this problem. With the 31 1/2 inch requirement in step 2 of page 31-07 makes the distance to the cutout switch from the back of the d-sub connector appox 43 inches. The wires coming from the back of my switch are 12 inches and 38 1/2. The wires coming from the d-sub connector that are to be spliced with the 12 inch wires from the switch are 28 inches long for a total of 40 inches or 3 inches short of the 43 inches needed. The two 38 1/2 inch wires with the pins attached are appox 4 inches short of the needed amount.:confused: Sent email to Van's and they said they did not know of a problem with the wiring being too short.

better route

Hi Harold,
I didnt have your problem, but I was puzzled why there would be a bunch of 4 unprotected, unsupported wires swinging in the breeze where occupants could snag them, e.g on a clipboard. Not like Vans usual attention to detail. So I broke the rule that you may change nothing. I drilled a small hole just forward of the red button, inserted a snap bushing and passed the wires up through it into the wiring area. Effectively a shortcut you might find useful.

Rod

Thanks Rod,
I was thinking of doing the same thing but was not sure if it would interfere with the other avionics units when they are installed. I would sure rather do that than splice in pieces of wire as splices are always a potential problem.

Hal

Back