What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automatic Frequency tuning on Garmin SL30

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
I understand the radio can automatically tune a frequency that is input from another device. How does this work? Will the GPS ask yes/no if you want to go to that freq? Any drawbacks to hooking this up?

I have a 430W and an Aera 550 and Sl30. Just wondering how they can interconnect, communicate, and be automated.

I understand the radio can automatically tune a frequency that is input from another device. How does this work? Will the GPS ask yes/no if you want to go to that freq? Any drawbacks to hooking this up?

I have a 430W and an Aera 550 and Sl30. Just wondering how they can interconnect, communicate, and be automated.

Hello Jeff,

Pages 161-163 in the Aera 5XX Pilot Guide explain the process of connecting, configuring, and using the frequency tuning feature with your SL30.

This is a great way to gain additional benefit from the frequency database in your Aera 550. Just touch a frequency on the Wpt Info frequency page and the Aera will automatically push it to the standby frequency position on the SL30. You can then swap it into the active position. No downside, because you are just tuning the standby and can't accidentally affect the active frequency.

There is no support for tuning the GNS 430W from the Aera 550, but the Aviation In configuration will allow the GNS430W to send a flight plan to the Aera 550. See this posting for more information.

Thanks,
Steve

Can the system accomodate all three at once?

Flight plan from G430W to Aera 550. Freqs from Aera 550 to SL30 radio, and ADSB IN from GDL39 to Aera 550

that would be (as they say in Waynes World) Most-Excellent !

Can the system accomodate all three at once?

Flight plan from G430W to Aera 550. Freqs from Aera 550 to SL30 radio, and ADSB IN from GDL39 to Aera 550

that would be (as they say in Waynes World) Most-Excellent !

Hello Jeff,

Yes, the system supports doing all of this at once. Most excellent, indeed. :)

When the GDL39 was designed, a the second serial port was added specifically to allow the portable GPS units to use high speed bi-directional communications to the GDL39 for ADS-B traffic and weather while not losing any of the existing capability for the single serial port on the portable.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back