What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto plug for IO 540

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I’m currently using Denso W27ESR-U (4045) plugs. I’m happy with them, but I would like to get plugs without the threaded tips for the next service. Any recommendations?

Solid Terminal NGK

I’m currently using Denso W27ESR-U (4045) plugs. I’m happy with them, but I would like to get plugs without the threaded tips for the next service. Any recommendations?

From Sparkplugs.com web NGK BR9ES (5722) threaded terminal plug is cross referenced for W27ESR-U but:

NGK BR9ES (3194) ($4.53) plugs have solid terminal are same heat range and gap as Denso W27ESR-U ($3.19)

NGK BR9EIX (3089) ($8.45) plugs have solid terminal and same heat range and gap as W27ESR-U ($3.19)

From Sparkplugs.com web NGK BR9ES (5722) threaded terminal plug is cross referenced for W27ESR-U but:

NGK BR9ES (3194) ($4.53) plugs have solid terminal are same heat range and gap as Denso W27ESR-U ($3.19)

NGK BR9EIX (3089) ($8.45) plugs have solid terminal and same heat range and gap as W27ESR-U ($3.19)

For E-Mags - NGK BR8ES (3961) @ $1.75-2.50. I install a new set at every condition inspection, regardless.

Last edited:
Bill, I see you’re running a BR8 in your -10. That the next range hotter. So far in my IO 540 the plugs are burning clean and the head temps are good. So question, if I went to a hotter plug, that would also possibly increase cylinder head temps? I’m running 9:1 cylinders with standard sump and air intake.

Bill, I see you’re running a BR8 in your -10. That the next range hotter. So far in my IO 540 the plugs are burning clean and the head temps are good. So question, if I went to a hotter plug, that would also possibly increase cylinder head temps? I’m running 9:1 cylinders with standard sump and air intake.

I am no expert, but the stock IO 540 with 8:5/1, E-Mags list that plug in the manual. My plugs are clean and burn look good.

BR8EIX part number 6747

The NGK Iridium that the OP wants is the 6747 model with the solid cap. The 5044 has the screw on cap.

These do have the non-screw on cap and I change every 200 hrs need it or not. Still look new when removed. I believe the full part number is BR8EIX 6747 and purchased for $ 7.61 each.

So the NGK BR8ES are hotter than the Denso W27 ESR. I see EMAG recommends the BR8. I’m wondering if I should give those a try. For those running an IO 540, are you running the NGK BR8s. Anyone running the BR9s at all or the Denso W27s.

Similarly, with a single SDS CPI-2 instal, our IO540 top set of plugs are NGK 2668 BKR8EIX Iridium IX

Runs well, no problems

Back