What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot servo operating range

Dave12

Well Known Member
I am doing the final assembly on my 12. While checking the linkages and cables I have had to adjust the servo actuating rods to work out some kinks in the operation. My question is does the servo have a specific range that the control arm only works in or does the servo respond with whatever movement it takes to maintain direction or altitude? I am sorry if you are confused, I don't know how to explain this any better but I know you smart guys will know what I am trying to say.

Servo setup

The Dynon servo arms rotate a full 360*.

When you set up your servo/pushtube/control surface, you should have the surface centered and then set up the servo/pushtube to make the servo arm rest at 90* to the pushtube.

After the servo/pushtube/control surface is completed, you'll do a calibration so the Dynon will know how to drive the servos. During the calibration, the Dynon will "learn" the range of motion and assignment for each of the servos. The Dynon will program in "electronic stops" based on your calibration, so the servo control arm will only rotate as far as it's been calibrated to travel. Additionally, Dynon provides "hard stops" to prevent a runaway servo from trying to exceed the permissable range of motion. Install the hard stop after you get the linkage worked out, and you're done!

The important step right now is to make sure that the control surface is centered and the servo control arm is 90* to the pushtube.

Hope this clears it up for you...

This is obviously the right thing to do for the best servo mechanical advantage. My plans do not seem to say to do it though. Is this something that comes in that final set of instructions you get after you have bought the last kit - that also has all the system checkouts and the flyoff test cards? (Or maybe it is with the Dynon servo instructions rather than the Van's plans - need to check.) I am at the stage of finishing up all of the controls (i.e. drilling the flaperon torque tubes) and have mounted the AP servos. All pushrods are the length per the plans - and since they are specified to such a small tolerance one would think that the result would be about the right length for 90 degree placement. My pitch servo is approx 100 degrees at pitch ~neutral (rather than 90, will be easy to adjust), but the roll servo is about 120 degrees and shortening that servo pushrod all the way "might" bring it to 90, or maybe only to 100. Anyone else with a similar situation?
Bill_H , N412BR reserved, halfway through finish kit, have engine, "waiting for Skyview."

Back