What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio from 3/496

PaulR

Well Known Member
I've searched the forums the best I know how to do and still have a question on the audio from the 3 or 496. I understand that the terrain alerts and the XM radio comes out of the 1/8" stereo jack on the GPS.

I'm planning a stereo jack on the panel to accomodate an Ipod or similar for music also. What do I have to do to listen to the alerts from the GPS and the music from the Ipod.

I have a PM 3000 intercom. I'll use the one of aux inputs for the alerts from the Dynon's.

Do I need to use some kind of audio mixer to allow this? I guess I could just use the XM Radio for music, but I'd really like to be able to do either. I just don't want to lose the alerts when I'm using the Ipod.

Sorry if this has already been answered and I just couldn't understand the answer.

Hi Paul,

I have the Sigtronics 200 Sport, which looks about like your intercom.

Here is what I did to make things work:
IntercomAudioInputs.jpg

In this example, I mixed in stereo from the 496 with mono alerts from my EFIS. You can splice in yet another set of inputs to a 1/8" jack on the dashboard, just duplicate the setup for the 496.

You will want to feed it all into the "Music" input of the intercom for two reasons:

a) The music input boosts more than the input from the VHF radio, and the Mic input is mono. If you connect it to the Mic input or the Radio input, it will be nearly inaudible or may cause problems with talking in flight.
b) The music input is automatically muted (still audible, but very low) when receiving an incoming radio transmission. I personally consider this feature to be "safety of flight," but this is an experimental aircraft so you can do what you want.

why tie the inputs to ground?

Why are the inputs tied to ground through the 1K resistors?

Dynon's not the problem

Breister,
The audio from the Dynon AP-74 will go to one of the unswitiched aux inputs on the PM 3000. What I'm trying to do, and probably didn't make it clear, is have the ability to use an Ipod or similar and the alerts from the Garmin. Then I could have the choice of XM or Ipod music.

I know I can just switch the plugs, but I'd still like to have the alerts from the Garmin while listening to the Ipod.

me too

I too am wiring in audio from a 496 into an audio panel (PMA8000) and have a related question. There is an unswitched audio input option, but I have to choose between pin 44-unswitched input #2 hi or pin 43-unswitched input #2 lo... Which one is the 496 output? Lo or hi? Anyone know the difference? Thanks! Jim

Why are the inputs tied to ground through the 1K resistors?

These were the instructions given to me by a person with about 30 years of electronics' education. I don't understand why, but in theory most of the current should still go to the audio input (which has zero resistance).

If someone else knows why, feel free to educate us. I just know it works.

Breister,
The audio from the Dynon AP-74 will go to one of the unswitiched aux inputs on the PM 3000. What I'm trying to do, and probably didn't make it clear, is have the ability to use an Ipod or similar and the alerts from the Garmin. Then I could have the choice of XM or Ipod music.

I know I can just switch the plugs, but I'd still like to have the alerts from the Garmin while listening to the Ipod.

I understood your question; and perhaps I wasn't clear in my answer.

In the drawing, replace the HS-34 audio output with a 1/8th audio jack mounted anywhere on your panel. You can mount the volume knob near the jack, or not. You will then be able to hear BOTH the 496 AND the Ipod (which you will plug into the jack with a male/male cord). I "cheated" on my jack - I simply connected it in parallel with the 496 assuming I would only use one or the other or that the Ipod would have it's own volume control so that I can balance the music level with respect to the terrain alerts.

I don't know if there is a limit to the number of sources you can "blend" this way. A really cool option would be to have a bluetooth receiver and have an Ipod or other device simply connect when in proximity.

Last edited:
Back