What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATU-20 ADS-B In/Out

cmmguy

Anyone considering or investigating or even know about this device for ADS-B IN/OUT compliance? Cant find the cost but their ADS-B In Only product is only $150.

Echo-ATU-20-Render.png

The ATU-20 is a remotely mounted ADS-B transceiver. It incorporates a dual-link (1090 MHz and 978 MHz) receiver and 978 MHz UAT Class A1S transmitter. The ATU-20 includes a precision WAAS GPS, altitude encoder, Wi-Fi support for interface to EFB applications, and integrates with a wide variety of existing Mode A/C/S transponders.

The Echo ATU-20 is designed to meet the performance requirements of TSO-C154c, and is compliant with FAR 91.225 and FAR 91.227 for operation in the National Airspace System.

http://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-atu-20/

I don't think you will ever see it on the list of FAA approved devices, because it is not FAA approved. The manufacturer says that it meets the standards, which is all that is required for EAB aircraft under FAR part 91. However, if the FAA chooses to ask, it is not clear to me how the owner-operator can produce documentation verifying that it meets the standards, other than a manufacurer's advertising blurb. If this is sufficient, I don't know.
I urge owners to tread carefully here. Many have gone ahead and installed devices on just the manufacturer's say-so. But IMHO many installations do not in fact meet the standards and so are non-compliant. It remains to be seen if the FAA will continue to look the other way, or not.

This company had a booth at OSH this year. That $120 price does NOT include the ADSB-OUT unit. They had an ADSB-IN only device for $99 at their booth. They were selling some of those. After discussion with the vendor they stated a fully ADSB-OUT compliant device was in the works that may come out this fall but they stated the price would be around $1300 for that unit.

They may indeed have something to look at in the future but I think they are going to have a few growing pains before they get their product to market.

HERE is a link to the ADS-B-IN that they had at OSH. Of course you will need something to display the traffic and weather on. The display must accept open source data stream, not proprietary data like Garmin or Dynon. The pingBuddy is supposed to work with iFly GPS and GRT and some tablets.

Last edited:
Back