What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attention Soothsayer Garmin tech Guys!

Jetguy

Well Known Member
What are the chances on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 meaning no way Jose, 10 meaning yep stand by for OSH2015;), in the next 4 1/2 years Garmin might come out with a box similar to the GDL39R for an experimental airplane that will have its own GPS within it that will:
1. Be FAA ADSB 2020 compliant?
2. Be compatible with other Garmin products like the GTX327 (for altitude serial data and power on-off interface) and Area 796 (for weather and traffic display)?
3. Cost between $1500.00 & $800.00?:)
The slightest hint, head tilt, wink;) would be greatly appreciated.:D
Thanks all mighty Garmin Soothsayer.:eek:

Sure

This has been kicked around some. I have asked the same question in order to try and get out of having to buy a GNT Nav.-Com. that is WAAS certified. The GPS in the 39 R with WAAS and talking to the GTX-23 ES would be great for the guy that really does not what to be flying an RV in bad weather but does want to bust class A,B,C, airspace after 2020. I think the hold up would come in the form of will the F.A.A. relax the rule for the home built and let them use a not certified GPS reporting system that meats the standard but is not certified to the TSO. I would give it a "9". If I was spending the money to bring something like this to market I would not do that till all my other options had run out first. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Back