What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attempt to produce and maintain one tool list

ToadMan8

I'm sure new builders (of which I am, and a new poster in this forum) frequently run into the trouble I'm having. I haven't started building anything, but I need to buy $2k in tools to get started. It's like watching cooking shows on TV, reading cookbooks, then buying all of the cookware required to cater a wedding without having ever cooked. Veteran builders can say well, you're making a bunch of omelets, so a few non-stick pans would be a good idea. I'm still thinking pans, OK, those go on the stove, right? Or, wait, in the oven?

So, (from the archives of this forum) I'm aware that Avery, Cleaveland, and PlaneTools sell kits, and are all well respected. The issue with the kits, though, is that they have upgrades and other options which are hard to navigate with a beginner's level of knowledge.

The result is a bunch of posts where you re-hash versions of the same discussions. Then I, like many new builders, search through the old posts in an anthropological attempt to make a good purchase decision.

As a solution, I envision one list of tools, supplies, and vendors that we can maintain and use collaboratively. I used the list from the PlaneTools kit as a starting point and produced a shared spreadsheet http://tinyurl.com/RVToolList that you can (and are encouraged to) edit and fill-in as you'd like.

There are tabs (at the bottom) for information about retailers, links to general tooling discussions, and for a List of Tools that I hope becomes a master list of what to buy when endeavoring on an RV project.

So, please contribute your knowledge, and hopefully we can produce something that will continue to be useful to new builders in the future.

I also welcome your comments and suggestions to this approach in this thread.

Thank you!!!

Very nice. I've added my thoughts and a number of other items to consider.

Tool list

Great job! I know that as a New Builder "want to be" this will be very helpful! Thanks for you time and effort!
Lou

Strongly recommend the Starrett C305 series of rules. They have one side with .1 and .01 markings, and the other side has 1/32 and 1/64 markings.

Some other things will vary depending on which model you're building. For example, an RV-3 might need more of those nifty Cleco clamps, while an RV-12 won't. And the RV-12 won't need all the rivet squeezing accessories that a solid-rivet airplane might, but will want a good rivet puller.

Dave

I've needed a miter saw to make tools (bending brake, bending blocks, stands, and a flange straightener), but I'm not sure if you want to list tools that aren't directly used on the plane.
Not sure if you want to list home-made tools?

A lot of this is really just personal preference and I think that's why you're getting information overload. A friend of mine is positively giddy at the thought of using the pneumatic squeezer all evening, and another friend was quite content to use a hand squeezer.

I've told many builders that the "standard" RV tool kits from any of Avery, Brown, or Cleveland would build their plane, so they could pick which ever one looks to be the best deal at the time and just get started. Or, for about the same money (or a hair more), they could shop around, and pick and choose the best parts from different suppliers and end up with a nicer set of tools in the long run. It won't get the plane built any faster though.

A vendor perspective

I have not looked at the list yet, but I certainly will. It sounds like the sheet will be a helpful tool. But I wanted to give a bit of advise based on helping builders customize their tool wish list for nearly 20 years.

Every builder is different. One of the most fun things that I get to do is talk one on one with people, find out what they need, and make recommendations based on my experience (a large part of which comes from feedback from customers). I have found that rarely do two people want or need the same tool set. We have a kit simply because it gives people a place to start during this steep section of the learning curve. Most of my customers know that I am really not a very good "salesperson" because I often talk them out of buying tools. Some builders want to build fast and efficient and get the plane in the air. Some cost is not a factor, some it is the only factor. Many builders are master craftsman and are creating works of art using the very best tool they can get in order to do work that is not possible without them. Some have woodworking or car maintance tools that crossover, some have nothing but a hammer and screwdriver.

My point here is that we are all humans, complex and individual. Yes get all the info you can from others, but then pick up the phone and get personal attention from any of the vendors. We provide expert advise (I hope) that can't be replaced by websites and spreadsheets, or even by the groupthink of the forums.

I would add..

...the Scotch-Brite wheel for the grinder, and a belt sander attachment for the bench grinder with a Scotch-Brite belt.

Back