What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching tip-up latch lugs

vbpiper

Well Known Member
I am trying to drill the tip-up canopy latch lugs to the aft canopy frame. The directions say to clamp the lug to the frame, position the canopy so the lugs engage the hooks, the drill it. My problem is that I am too dense to figure out how to clamp them with the roll bar in place. The only thing I can come up with was to remove the roll bar, but then I lose the positive stop for where the canopy will rest when snugged down tight. Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted!
Help?
Thanks.
BTW, the fiberglass work on the front of the Plexi is kind of fun!
Ward :(

I removed the roll bar and used some 1/8" (I think) spacers under the canopy rails to locate it where I wanted it. As you said, it's pretty hard to clamp with the roll bar in the way.

Confession

I kind of held it in place with a finger and somehow marked it, don't recall how. Anyhow, it did not work out perfectly. I had to laterally enlarge one of the two holes on each one to adjust it to fit well, later. With appropriate torque on the nuts, it won't go anywhere, especially since the strain is up-down, not side-side. The prototype shows signs of re-work in this area, too. Relax and enjoy.

Thanks!

:D Thanks for the responses. I LOVE these forums!
Looks like I'll take off the roll bar and drill them.
On to the wiring.
Ward

Back