What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching Tailcone Skins Question

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Looking for advice prior to attaching the tailcone skins to the F-1208, F-1209 and F-1210 fuselage frames.

A couple of builders have mentioned to me that the tips of the tabs on the fuselage frames tend to dent or hump the tailcone skins.

Did any of you do anything to minimize this possiblity??

bumps in skin

having the same problem.

I AM TRYING DIFFERENT WAYS. SO FAR GRINDING THE EDGE OF THE FLANGE SEEMS TOBE WORKING.

DON'T THINK THAT YOU CAN BEND THE FLANGE BECAUSE THAT WILL CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE HOLE ALIGNMENTS. ???

GARY

I had one pop up last night just before I gave up for the night. ginding down the corner sounds like it will work. I will give it a try.

Grinding works it there is excess material, but there were a few places I added a shim between the flange and the skin. It eliminated the gap and the distortion. We talked about this before in that shims might not be "LSA compliant" because it would not meet the print. But I'm of the opinion that this is an allowable fix to allow for kit construction variances.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Back