What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching Tail Cone (Quick Build)

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I am ready to attach the tail cone for the first time however I have not found all the information required on the drawing. On page 32-3, Center top, the diagram shows the attachment of the 1046 and 1032 longerons. The instructions say to match drill the #30 holes and final drill to #12. The issue is neither longerons have the #30 pilot holes in them. I have looked over all the drawings and cannot find any dimensional detail to locate them. What am I missing.

Thanks,

Pat

Back to bending and drilling

The template on Page 29-2 (See Fig 2) includes the bend diameter and all the drill holes, including the last four for F-1046L and R. You will match drill through the 1046 into the longeron in the tail.

I would have thought these holes would have been drilled on a qucik build. Hopefully they included the longeron template in 29-2 so that you can drill the holes.

I don't have a quick build, but I'm planning on mounting my tail cone this weekend too.

bob

The template is not included in QBs, and the holes are not drilled.

I found this note regarding the hole positioning on the Matronics list:
The 4 bolt hole centers are 7/16 from the edge
Aft bolt hole center is 3/8 from the aft end of the F1046 longeron
Hole spacing is 3/4" center to center

After I had the tailcone clecoed on, I marked these hole positions, and it made sense (evenly spaced, maximized edge distance while not letting the nut or bolt head interfere with the other side of the longerons). If there's any uncertainty, call Vans... this is definitely something you don't want to get wrong.

-Rob

Last edited:
Fuel Valve/Attaching Tail Cone (Quick Build)

Attached the tail cone this weekend, actually attached it 3 times before actually riveting it on. On to the fuselage and fuel/brake systems. Anyone have the Andair fuel valve part number that works in the 10.

Pat

Pat,

I must be a few rivets behind you. I didn't quite get the tailcone completely riveted this weekend, but will finish in the morning.

I believe the Andair part you want is FS20x7-T. I need to get mine ordered too. I may just wait until OSH to order to talk with them directly

bob

Back