What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching pulldown strap for doors?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I have a pair of straps (Abby's Flightline) for pulling the doors down while in the plane.
Any suggestions for best place/way to install (and/or pictures) would be great.

Thanks,
Tom hanaway

I have a pair of straps (Abby's Flightline) for pulling the doors down while in the plane.
Any suggestions for best place/way to install (and/or pictures) would be great.

Thanks,
Tom hanaway

Good questions.......

I had purchased some straps myself, but forgot about them until my doors were sealed back up and finished. I could use a rivnut, but I'm not sure that the thickness of the interior shell would be durable enough to support the strap unless reinforced with an aluminum doubler behind it.

Yep.

Tom, mine are tied around the door handle shaft. Tuck them down next to you in flight. Three years, no problems. BTW, Jenny added about an ounce of lead fishing weight to ours, so that the wind doesn't blow them out of reach.

Best,

FWIW,

I thought I would need something to pull the doors down but just reaching fwd of the fwd hinge is an easy reach and I can manage the co-pilot's door from the left seat.
Some pilots like the handle, just thought I would mention they aren't required unless you are really height challenged. I'm 5'10".

Do those with a strap have some sort of catch inside that it can be looped round so that you can taxi with the door ajar?

FWIW,

I thought I would need something to pull the doors down but just reaching fwd of the fwd hinge is an easy reach and I can manage the co-pilot's door from the left seat.
Some pilots like the handle, just thought I would mention they aren't required unless you are really height challenged. I'm 5'10".

There is absolutely no way I can reach the co-pilot door from the left seat, unless I unstrap and use the co-pilot as a support. I'm 5'9". Moving on, I use a strap on the door handle - especially important as Pierre pointed out, when you are standing on the ground. Using the strap to retain the door partially open while taxiing sounds good until you try it. There is just too much unpredictable gusting going on out there. I'm working on something, I'll let you know if it works.
John

Back