What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching Aileron Brackets to Aileron

macrafic

Well Known Member
Two questions.

For you guys who have been through this, how did you get a socket around the bolt heads to tighten the aileron attach brackets to the aileron (3 bolts inboard and 2 outboard)?

Also, Van's instructions indicate to use spacers 'as required' when attaching the aileron to the wing. What does this mean? How much play is recommended in the aileron attachment? My initial "guess" is that I should use enough spacers to prevent the sides of the aileron brackets from being bent toward one another during tightening while allowing as little play as possible side-to-side. I'm also guessing that complete binding between the bracket sides is not desired, so some minimal amount of play is desired.

Thanks ahead of time for the benefit of your experience!

Maca,

I used 1/4" hex drive thinwall drivers. You know, the kind you chuck in your screwgun.

As for the washers, I used exactly as many as depicted in the plans. Off hand, I am not sure how many that was. I also recall installing some thin ones and some thick ones as shown.

Sooo, if that helps ya...

:) CJ

Heresy

macrafic said:
For you guys who have been through this, how did you get a socket around the bolt heads to tighten the aileron attach brackets to the aileron (3 bolts inboard and 2 outboard)?

I'm going to catch heck for this...

...but I held the bolt heads with a pair of long nose vise-grips while tightening and torqueing the nuts.

I'm so ashamed ;)

George

LOL George!

I used a combination of John's and George's method. I used a nut-driver where I could, but when things got tight (outboard bracket), I used an adjustable wrench to grab the head of the bolt from the top. Good luck!

Back