What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ATO Fuses & flip-down blocks

TX7A

Well Known Member
I've read references to flip-down fuse block trays attached between the instrument panel & sub-panel. As a matter of fact, the recent Kitplanes mag has an article regarding types of breakers/fuses. There is a photo of what appears to be a flip-down fuse block tray. I can't really see the method of attachment though.
Those of you that have such an arrangement, are the plastic ends of the fuses facing up or down when the tray is up & secured. My plan is to have the tray hinged at the instrument panel end & fasten at the sub-panel end. This would result in being able to easily change fuses. (for me, on the ground...let's not get that started ;) ) However, the fuse blocks would be 'inverted' when secured up in place. Bottom line: Are the clips that hold the fuse spades strong enough to hold the fuse during flight?
Experiences?

Thanks for info on this.

My ATO fuse block holds fuses just fine (purchased from Stein air). Before I finished my RV I was slightly bummed because I didn't think to make the fuses flip down - instead I just have em mounted to the right subpanel behind the panel.

After flying my RV for a few hundred hours I now have no such regret. Flip down fuses would have never made maintenance easier for me. I've replaced _one_ fuse - slightly increasing the size to accommodate the inrush current of the fuel pump. Thats _it_ - I'm so glad I didn't add complexity to make the panel flip down.

Yes, the fuses will stay in upside down

Yes, the fuse blocks will hold the fuses tight enough to keep them from vibrating out when upside down.

I initially intended to install a swing down fuse panel like you are considering, and I even fabricated a hinged mounting plate and installed the fuse blocks on it. But then I looked at how to route wires to and from the fuse blocks in a way that allowed the wires to flex as the panel was lowered, while at the same time secure the wires well enough to prevent them from chafing against each other. I wasn't able to come up with a solution that I felt comfortable with, especially when considering the AWG #6 wire that supplies my main bus.

I ended up removing the swing-down fuse panel and mounting the fuse blocks on the sub panel.

Last edited:
Well, you guys go me to thinking...

Since I have a tip-up and good access behind the panel, putting the fuse blocks on the sub-panel or even on a tray that spans the instrument panel & sub-panel without the complexity of hinges, latches & such may be the best way for me.
My guess is that the swing down option came to be from the slider canopy folks.

Anyway, thanks for the replys & thoughts.

I'm at the wiring stage now and I too want to attach my fuse blocks to a drop down panel. Only problem that I'm having is trying to find fuse blocks with the tabs on the back instead of on the sides. This is the type of fuse block as seen in this months Sport Aviation wiring #2 article. This provides a much narrower and cleaner installation. I would also like to have a clear plastic covers for the block as well.

Brian,

Yes, that is an example of a "rear" terminal fuse block. Thanks for finding one. I've spent numerous hours goggling and looking at catalogs to find fuse blocks rear terminals that support 12 to 16 fuses.

I'm not necessarily thrilled about that particular cover (I prefer clear), but it's better than not having one. I believe the benefit of using rear terminal fuse blocks is that you can put multiple of these side-by-side in very little space. Doing this with side terminal is more difficult because you have to space them far enough for the wires from both blocks to connect to their terminals. You also have to have enough space to for clamps, etc, to tie down wire loom.

LED Automotive Fuses - Glows when Blown!

Since I have a tip-up and good access behind the panel, putting the fuse blocks on the sub-panel or even on a tray that spans the instrument panel & sub-panel without the complexity of hinges, latches & such may be the best way for me.
My guess is that the swing down option came to be from the slider canopy folks.

Anyway, thanks for the replys & thoughts.
Sam,

Just protect it from water. Tip-ups do leak and water dripping on your fuse block may not be a good thing.

For the rest of you who plan on using ATO fuses (I did not), check out these glow when blown ATO fuses. They will sure make pulling and replacing one in flight or under a dark panel much easier.

(These fuses may be available elsewhere for less $, that was just a link I found for demo purposes.)

Last edited:
I also found these Blue Sea fuse blocks with screw terminals. Fast-on connectors are convenient but you can't beat the security of screw terminals.

http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126

126.png

The Blue Sea fuse blocks are nice, but really expenses. I believe the 12 circuit that referenced is over $50. It's also 2-3 times the weight and larger since it incorporates a ground block. The quality of these are really good and I really like the clear cover.

Back