What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assistance with wiring GNS 430 & GMA 340 lighting

bugsy63

Hi guys

I'm attempting to interpret the installation directions for the lighting on a GNS 430 and GMA 340.

Reference is made to: Lighting Bus Hi and Lo for the 430 and;
"high side of Bus and Low side of Bus" in the 340 manual.

Is this merely describing "active" and "ground", without the need to use a dimmer, this function acheived with the photo optic cell adjusting the brightness, or something more complex?

Thanks in anticipation

Assuming the 340 is the same as the 240, "hi" is the voltage and "low" is the ground. If you feed 12V to the "hi" you will have full brightness. The device does not have any auto sensing ambient light capability. I feed the output of my dimmer circuit to the "hi" input.

OOPS serious typo above (now corrected) - I originally typed 1V but I meant 12V

Last edited:
I can only speak to the 430.
Go into the setup menu, where you will find many choices. You can choose 'internal photocell' and be done with it. Or you can choose external control, in which case you need to tell it to expect 12 volts for max brightness, not 5 or 24. Yes, 'hi' goes to the voltage out of your dimmer, 'low' to ground. Note it is looking for a simple dc voltage; very little current is drawn.
There are lots of adjustment settings in the menu, but I've found the factory defaults work pretty well.

Thanks Glen & Bob.

Once again the members of this forum have proven to be an invaluable resource

Back