What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembly table surface

bhaiduk

I'm New Here
I’m getting my shop set up for my upcoming build. What is the best surface for my assembly table? In the wood working world, a table with a Formica top is common. Wood slides over it without marring, glue doesn’t stick to it and it looks nice. How well would that work for aircraft building? Is there a better choice?

I use mdf. You will want to drill into whatever you use, so don’t make it furniture! For skin assembly and such I use a piece of the cheap astoturf. Not carpet. The chips fall through it so you’re not grinding them into the skin.
1726330034704.png

Last edited:
Personal preference. Every builder finds what works for them. MDF, formica, carpet, etc. I do like the astro turf idea though. Clever.

Some swear by casters. I prefer none.

Personally, the top of the EAA benches are just sanded. I wipe it off before work. I don't care about drilling into it. Once a year or two, I smear a layer of spackling on and sand it smooth again.

Whatever you can build quick and easy that is sturdy and you can clamp too.
Don’t make too much of a project out of the table. You have enough on your hands building an airplane!
Sturdy, solid, cheap. The EAA design fits that bill.
I had a 5’x10’ table which could hold a wing so you could properly lay out everything. Not sure that’s necessarily with today’s kits.

I agree that it really doesn't matter. Make the benches flat and put tops on that you are willing to beat up if necessary. The tops of my benches are just a double layer of plywood. One "permanent" layer and one sacrificial thinner layer on top. I use scrap pieces of carpet when I want padding. I have found that I never really drill into the work surface (I usually grab a piece of 2x4 to drill parts on top of) , so I have yet to change the tops out. Flat and heavy duty is the key.

I started out building a Long-ez so I built a 12x4 with TGIs and MDF top. I cut it down to 8x4 and still have the original MDF top. I did like Larry above, every once and a while filled in sanded and rolled some white paint (whatever I had ) . Make sure you have an overhang around the perimeter.
When I started a new project, I rolled out some Ram board (comes in a roll from your fav box store). Tape the perimeter and you have a pristine working surface for panel work, finish assembly of parts etc.
My 4x4 corner posts have leveling but no castors. This is my main work table.

I have two EAA tables for my power tools and misc. projects that temporarily get put aside and worked on.
I personally like a really nice work bench. It has served me well.

A

I started out building a Long-ez so I built a 12x4 with TGIs and MDF top. I cut it down to 8x4 and still have the original MDF top. I did like Larry above, every once and a while filled in sanded and rolled some white paint (whatever I had ) . Make sure you have an overhang around the perimeter.
When I started a new project, I rolled out some Ram board (comes in a roll from your fav box store). Tape the perimeter and you have a pristine working surface for panel work, finish assembly of parts etc.
My 4x4 corner posts have leveling but no castors. This is my main work table.

I have two EAA tables for my power tools and misc. projects that temporarily get put aside and worked on.
I personally like a really nice work bench. It has served me well.

A
I use a replaceable Masonite top. Typically 1/8”. When it gets messed up, I replace it.

I’ve been building on the same 3/4”MDF bench-top for a dozen years and four airplane projects. I drill into it (and cleco parts to it) on a daily basis. One of these days I’ll get a new piece and lay it over the top….but for now it works just fine. Oh - the long “extra bench” we used to extend the primary work surface to build 26’ long glider wings is just two hollow-cores interiors doors (salvaged from somewhere) on a 2x4 frame.

truth be told, the primary work bench is the crate that our Xenos kit came in, with legs inserted between the bottom and top pieces of MDF - it makes for a cavernous under-bench storage space for big parts.

As you can tell, I don’t go in for “fancy” when it comes to benches, and they get the job done just fine…..

Back