What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembly Sequence

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I have delayed attaching the tailcone to the fuselage primarily because of my space to work. I propose to put the fuselage on the landing gear and hang the engine prior to putting the tail on. If anyone has done it this way, is this going to create any problems for me?

I have delayed attaching the tailcone to the fuselage primarily because of my space to work. I propose to put the fuselage on the landing gear and hang the engine prior to putting the tail on. If anyone has done it this way, is this going to create any problems for me?

Hi Don,

You are headed the right direction, it will make a number of tasks much simpler, drilling the flaparon actuator arms is the best of the savings as it is much nicer to do it standing the tailcone opening of the fuselage instead of trying to be a snake to get to the parts.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Hey, good thinking there, never even thought about that. My old stiff body just don't like to crawl into tailcones any more. Besides, when I get in there someone else has to pull me out:mad:

I'm with you...

and for the same space reason but I am slightly behind so I will watch what problems you may face down the road. It would be great to get advice from those who have been there done that.
BTW I'm in no hurry while the Skyview project is so quiet, don't want to go EAB either.

oops! should have read posting about Skyview before!

Last edited:
With the tail attached, the rear window skins off (should be about the last thing you put on permanently), the wings on, you can easily reach in and match drill the torque arms with your extended #30 bit. Attaching the tail lets you run some cables and properly drill the rudder links.

Further thoughts: You can only put off the tail attachment for so long. A main factor is the trim wires that come from the tail and have to go forward to the panel. Those need to run through the tunnel UNDERNEATH your flaperon pushrods and linkages. That is much easier to do before those control linkages are installed - you have to make all those wires neat and flat before putting in those controls. PLUS you have to get them behind, up, and over the rudder pedal assembly - much easier when the pedals are not in yet. I attached the tail prior to doing all that and was still able to have the fuse easily on its side, which made putting in the rudder pedals and control linkages and cables pretty easy. And it did not interfere with drilling the flaperon arms per the above post.

I have all the tunnel wires, fuel lines, and brake lines installed and guided down by the nylon blocks. I also have the rudder pedals installed, and all the wiring done up over them and into the panel area, I am installing the flight controls right now.

Back