What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembly Order-Chicken or the Egg

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am working on my RV-7A fuselage and I keep running across serious assembly order issues. I am currently getting ready to fit my canopy frame but here is where the problem is.

First I must give you the current status of my fuselage.

1. Canopy Cabin Frame completed and fitted.
2. Instrument panel frame and forward fitted.
3. Aft Canopy Decks (F-721B) fitted but not riveted.
4. 3/16" angle (F-705G) under seat back frame (F-705) not riveted.
5. Aft top skin fitted but not riveted.

Here is the issue. If I want to start fitting the canopy frame, I need to rivet the Canopy Decks (F-721B) in position (I am not interested in temporally riveting these in place) because the clecos will prevent proper positioning of the Canopy Frame. But if I rivet the side rails in place then I do not have access to riveting the 3/16" angle (F-705G) on the seat back frame completely. If I rivet the 3/16" angle (F-705G) before the side rails, then I can?t rivet the 3 forward rivets on the aft top skin. I can?t rivet these before the 3/16" angle (F-705G) because I need to remove the skin so that I can fit the canopy.

If you follow the directions (checked with Van's on this) the order of assembly is to install the aft top skin and then rivet the 3/16" angle (F-705G)in position and then install the canopy roll frame. It may sound a bit confusing but it just doesn?t add up. :confused:

For those who are beyond this step, you probably know what I am talking about. The solution I have seen is to use pop rivets in the forward 3 holes in the top side skins the pass through the longeron. This makes some sense since it will allow a much more orderly assembly, not to mention riveting access.

However before I commit to this I want to get some input from others who have passed beyond this.

I know Dan C is lurking out there and he used the pop rivet solution.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Paul M.

you can make it as hard as you want :)

or simply click the easy button and rivet the 705G angles FIRST.. then go with side rails and the rest... finally pop those 3 holes in the side skin. If you really don't like pop rivets, put some filler over 'em :)

PS. Just to add -- I know one person was trying to hold off from riveting, and things turned out to be harder than necessary when trying to rivet the 705G later.

I found the easy button

After much consideration I decided to use the easy button. I looked all over the shop and finally found it.

I just finished riveting the 3/16" angle (F-705G) on the seat back frame. It was a bit of a challange (I did it solo). Prior to riveting I marked the angle and relieved the area directly behind the longeron/skin rivet locations. This way I can insert and pull a few CherryMax rivets.

I can not imagine setting these rivets with the aft canopy decks in position. It would be a sight to behold if someone actually did it without a ton of cursing.

My hat is off to any builder who actually assembled these parts as Van intended.

Maybe it is easier for the slider guys.

Paul M.

My delima exactly

I am in this exact same position right now and am leaning towards going with the three pop rivet option on where the top skin rivets to the longerons..

Question is, after a cursory search I can't find 3/32nd pulled rivets with a long enough grip.. Are you guys just putting shorter ones in there and creating a friction lock..

Or can you let me know where to find pulled rivets with a long enough grip?

Thx

Thread bump...

I'm coming up on the same area and have the same question about pulled 3/32 rivets that are long enough to cover the top skin, side skin and longeron. Any suggestions?

Thanks -

Dave

Last edited:
Back