What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assembly of the F-706 Bulkhead

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
Building the -706 bulkhead assembly and started to rivet together the -728A Bellcrank Channel and the -728B angle. Then I remembered that the instructions state not to rivet together until later. I have about 1/3 of the rivets installed randomly across the part; a few towards each end and them some across the span.

Since I loathe drilling out AN470 rivets, will there be clearance or interference issues on the final install if I do not drill out the rivets? It looks like there is room to get a yoke in there for the AN426 rivets on final install to the F-706 Bulkhead or I have the option to use the CS4-4 instead of the AN426 on install.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Last edited:
I just did this to myself too! Except I fully riveted the F-728A Bellcrank Channel and the F-728B angle. The reason the instructions state to leave the F-728B angle unriveted until later is for clearance of the rivet gun to rivet the lower AN470 rivets of the F-728A to the F-706 bulkhead. However, I discovered an easy fix to that. Do not rivet the bottom of the F-728A to the bottom aft skin with AN426 rivets until the very last. Then use a tie-wrap between the belcrank pivot holes to move the aft end of the F-728A/B over so the rivet gun has clearance past the F-728B angle. Worked quite well. Build on.

Back