What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ask a Controller / A80 around Macon Ga.

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
What are the accepted/ and or required radio communications to controlling facility for the A80 TRACON over Macon Ga. (A) If your are VFR going to one of the non controlled airport underneath the floor. And ( B) if en route to same non controlled airport but would like to transition area above the floor for more direct route. In past I've treated the airspace same as Class B over ATL. and stayed out of it. This A80 area also includes Warner Robbins. ?

Under the floor nada is required (but may be prudent) in my non-controller opinion. If you want to transit, contact Atlanta Approach

ATLANTA APPROACH: 119.6 7000 & ABV 124.2 BLO 7000

State who you are, where you area and what you want to do. If they clear you through, you may be handed off to the tower.

The airspace you are talking about is a TSRA. There are only a few left operating in th country. Participation, clearance, or establishing comm is not required but encouraged. The class D portion surrounding the primary airport however, requires you to establish communications to enter/transit.

The following link will explain it a bit better (scroll down):
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/media/PHAK%20-%20Chapter%2014.pdf

For future questions feel free to ask it in my thread here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=59270

Spoken as the only (As far as I know) RV owner based at KMCN (the Class D at the middle of that TRSA) I would suggest that you not bother with the TRSA. MOST of the KMCN controllers are hard to get along with, unhelpful and generally disagreeable.

The only thing to watch out for is traffic out of RAFB (KWRB) but it's usually just E-8's or KC-135's flying bomber patterns at 2k. There is survelance radar at KWRB and KMCN, so military traffic would be routed around you, if you do somehow manage get in the way. The USAF guys don't fly much on the weekends, and there's more traffic at KPXE 20 miles South in Perry than out of KMCN.

Edit: Upon more thought, I guess participation in the TRSA involves talking to ATL approach, not MCN tower (since there is no such thing as MCN approach or WRB approach) so that might be a little better, but it's still probably not worth messing with unless you're already on Flight Following. A good bit of (the VERY little) traffic at MCN is big jet maintenance traffic, so I guess those guys dropping out of 18K ft at 300 kt is the other reason for the TRSA.

Last edited:
Back